Nitrates ??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by yukondog, Apr 15, 2017.

1. yukondog

yukondogWell Known MemberMember

What causes my nitrates to keep being high after water changes? The tank is well established since Oct. of last year, param. 0,0,40-80, tap n03 5.0 . Did a 50% W/C yesterday, today nitrate back up to 40-80.
    40 long
    fish: 6 platys, male/female DG, 6 rummy nose, 6 peppered corys and 2 BN, lots of plants, driftwood and slate. Any ideas?

on a side note why does it keep saying that my title must contain 10 or more characters, I had to add two question marks to the title just so it would take.

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

Check the nitrate in your tap water, would be my first guess. Sometimes it can go up and down.

3. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Seconded. Test your tap.

It says 10 or more characters so people don't type just one word and it differentiates searches, so you don't get 40,000 threads when you type in a single word.

4. OP
    OP
    yukondog

5. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Do you have male and female platys?

If you do, then there's a good chance you have constant fry coming. Those fry die either naturally, from stress, or from predation and pollute the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    yukondog

The fry pretty much get eaten as they spit them out, I do W/C w/vacuum weekly about 50% a week.

7. APierce

Do you rinse your filter in tank water, do you have bio balls or anything like that?

8. OP
    OP
    yukondog

No bio-balls, yes filter rinsed in tank water, going to try about 90% WC this weekend.

9. APierce

Ok, hopefully that will help some. Maybe update us on what your levels are after the wc :)

10. OP
    OP
    yukondog

Did about a 90% wc yesterday and rechecked nitrates this morning, still a little high 10-20, did not clean any d├ęcor just vac. and filter.

11. APierce

Since you have nitrates in your tap, maybe try some nitrate reducing filter media added to the hob filter... or you could put some more plants in there to help with it a little bit more.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice