Nitrates ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What causes my nitrates to keep being high after water changes? The tank is well established since Oct. of last year, param. 0,0,40-80, tap n03 5.0 . Did a 50% W/C yesterday, today nitrate back up to 40-80.
40 long
fish: 6 platys, male/female DG, 6 rummy nose, 6 peppered corys and 2 BN, lots of plants, driftwood and slate. Any ideas?

on a side note why does it keep saying that my title must contain 10 or more characters, I had to add two question marks to the title just so it would take.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Seconded. Test your tap.

It says 10 or more characters so people don't type just one word and it differentiates searches, so you don't get 40,000 threads when you type in a single word.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have male and female platys?

If you do, then there's a good chance you have constant fry coming. Those fry die either naturally, from stress, or from predation and pollute the tank.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The fry pretty much get eaten as they spit them out, I do W/C w/vacuum weekly about 50% a week.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No bio-balls, yes filter rinsed in tank water, going to try about 90% WC this weekend.

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, hopefully that will help some. Maybe update us on what your levels are after the wc

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Did about a 90% wc yesterday and rechecked nitrates this morning, still a little high 10-20, did not clean any décor just vac. and filter.

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Since you have nitrates in your tap, maybe try some nitrate reducing filter media added to the hob filter... or you could put some more plants in there to help with it a little bit more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom