Nitrates

1. Bhopkins1311 Member Member

My ammonia is at 0 and nitrite is at 0 but do i have to many nitrates its somewhere between 40 and 80. If its to high how do i get it down

2. Bhopkins1311 Member Member

[​IMG]

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Are there any nitrates in your tap?

Water changes are usually the best way, unless you have high nitrates in your tap.

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

4. Skyy2112 Member Member

Test tap water!

5. Zed Initiate Member

Bhopkins1311 how often are you doing your water changes? I would do a 50% water change immediately and that should dilute your tank, and bring your nitrates down by half (given that your tap water doesn't have any)

Nitrates are gonna be present in your tank if the bacteria is doing its job, the way to get rid of them is by doing regular water changes. Once your tank is stable you should do 25% water change every week or every other week at the most.

6. Bhopkins1311 Member Member

I usually do weekly or bi weeky water changes usually about 20 30 percent

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You should increase your water changes to 30-50% weekly.

8. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello B...

Ideally, you want nitrates to be nearly as low as the other forms of nitrogen. But not many tank keepers new to the hobby have ideal water conditions. If you keep reasonably hardy fish, they easily adapt to a higher level of nitrates. The best thing to do is to keep the tank chemistry stable by removing and replacing a lot of tank water and doing it weekly and not worry about the nitrates. Nitrates are at the end of the nitrogen cycle and not toxic to fish unless they build up to a level much higher then what you have.

Old

9. Skyy2112 Member Member

Have you tested tap water? This seems super high for your waterchanges. What is your current tank stock?

10. Bhopkins1311 Member Member

Angel fish
    Bolivian ram
    Pearl gourami
    Bristlenose pleco
    Clown pleco
    2 corys (gonna get more)
    2 zebra danios (gonna get more)
    8 neon tetra

11. Skyy2112 Member Member

Tank size?

12. Bhopkins1311 Member Member

55g

13. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

Most recommend 50% weekly minimum water changes. If your tap water test good I would do a 75% change, then retest

14. Bhopkins1311 Member Member

I heard a water change like that would reset my cycle, is that not true?

15. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Nope it won't reset your cycle. I do at least 50% wcs weekly never had a problem.

16. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

When levels get high I like to do a 50% change then test in an hour and do another 50% if necessary.

A large water change will not crash your cycle. However, you want to make sure your tap ph is close to your tank ph. If it's not then a large change can cause ph shock to the fish.
    Make sure to test your tap water. If theres any nitrates in it you'll have another situation entirely

17. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

I just did a 95% water change (moved the tank to a new stand) I didn't lose my cycle. Just had to keep the old media wet to preserve the BB

18. Dayna Ann Member Member

What do you do if your water tests for Nitrates if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

19. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

Need to find a new source of water for your tank in that case

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on how high the nitrates are. You can use nitrate-reducing media if it's high, or use RO water and remineralize.