Nitrates Question

1. str8shooter Member Member

My nitrates are a little high and im probably going to get another HOB or sponge filter. Im wondering if ther is anything else I can do.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

A water change. The bacteria in your filter converts ammonia into nitrite, and then nitrite into nitrate. Water changes or even live plants then take care of your nitrate. How high are they?

3. str8shooter Member Member

A little high I was told I dont know the exact number im still ordering my own test kits. I do water changes every week and im getting some real plants. Im useing a HOP filter that came with the tank (29 gallon) Im wondering if it could be a little under filtered. Or I got the test about a week after I added 3 fish. So could the bacteria not be coought up to th3 bio load?

4. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Adding another filter won't hurt, but it won't lower the nitrates either. Only thing that will lower them is a water change, How many fish do you have? What prompted you to have the nitrates checked?

5. str8shooter Member Member

I was cycling another tank and decided to test both tanks. I have 7 fish in the 29 gallon.

6. str8shooter Member Member

If I already do weekly water changes what would you recommend to lower the nitrates? 2 water changes a week?

7. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Yes. More frequent water changes will help.

What kind of fish are they? How often are you feeding them? How much water are you changing weekly?

8. str8shooter Member Member

2 danios 3 corys 1 bristle 1 loach
    I feds them once in the morning and once at night
    Each change im takeing about 6-8 gallons out and every other week I take about 10 gallons out

9. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I would feed them once a day, and increase the amount of water you are changing. I would be changing 50% to 75% once a week.

10. str8shooter Member Member

Would that 50 or 75 at once or 2 water changes a week?

11. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I been feeding my 25+ fish once every OTHER day and that seems to work good. The tank can go 2 weeks ( I was changing water every week on the 36 gallon ) and my tank usually had very little if at any, Nitrates.

I believe its due to not overfeeding and not feeding every day.

I now have all of these fish in a 72 gallon and do a pwc every 2 weeks ( still trace nitrates )

12. str8shooter Member Member

I assume I am over feeding than. How much should I be feeding them when I do