Nitrates?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by klutz10154, Dec 18, 2012.

1. klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

Is it possible to have too low nitrates? when testing the water the ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and the nitrates are right above 0 as well. I was wondering if the nitrates are too low or is that ok?

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Low is ok. They will build up over time, then when you change water you lower them again. If you have lots of live plants you will get lower nitrates.

3. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

there are alot of plants in the tank and its been up for about a month and a half now. I was just making sure it wasn't going to hurt anything if they get too low

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You WANT to have some nitrates - too low of a nitrate concentration can lead to cyanobacteria, which is just a mess for your plants and tank. Some people actually dose with nitrates to keep them up.

5. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

hmm ok how do you do that?

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know. I don't have that problem as I don't have planted tanks. Unless java moss makes it planted, but still, there are no shortage of nitrates. I would start another thread in the plant section.

7. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Add some KNO3 to your tank.

8. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

Thanks! we'll do that!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice