Nitrates with no nitrites?

saintanna

hello,
I’m doing a fishless cycle for a 10 gallon that will hopefully have caridina shrimp in it soon. It's been running for a little over a week with a seeded sponge filter, wood, plants, and 1.5 indian almond leaves from my other two 10 gallons. I've been adding fish food for an ammonia source but am sort of confused on my parameters right now.
IMG_8183.jpg
This is the pH of my tap water

IMG_8198.jpg
IMG_8197.jpg
and (I'm not sure how considering my tap's pH, the driftwood, and almond leaves) my pH in the tank has gone up. I did a small water change for the first time this afternoon and the pH went back down to like a 6.9 or so.
I also am not sure if I'm misreading the nitrate or if there actually is some present. It looks fairly orange to me but I have heard that the colors don't always match up right with these tests. Is it possible to have nitrates without seeing nitrites? I thought that you usually see ammonia then nitrites then nitrates. I have a bundle of pothos hanging out the top of the tank and lots of salvinia minima (I think) which is supposed to suck up nitrates from what I understand. I'd assume it's not cycled yet but I know shrimp don't have a huge bioload.
There are a few hitchhiking snails who have been leaving trails all over the glass. There's algae growing and biofilm building up. I've been using seachem stability and a tiny bit of Bacter AE. I'm just worried that my tank is no where close to cycling and I would hate to make a very expensive mistake (let alone potentially hurt the shrimp).

IMG_8199.jpg

PSYMON117

hello,
I’m doing a fishless cycle for a 10 gallon that will hopefully have caridina shrimp in it soon. It's been running for a little over a week with a seeded sponge filter, wood, plants, and 1.5 indian almond leaves from my other two 10 gallons. I've been adding fish food for an ammonia source but am sort of confused on my parameters right now.
IMG_8183.jpg
This is the pH of my tap water

IMG_8198.jpg
IMG_8197.jpg
and (I'm not sure how considering my tap's pH, the driftwood, and almond leaves) my pH in the tank has gone up. I did a small water change for the first time this afternoon and the pH went back down to like a 6.9 or so.
I also am not sure if I'm misreading the nitrate or if there actually is some present. It looks fairly orange to me but I have heard that the colors don't always match up right with these tests. Is it possible to have nitrates without seeing nitrites? I thought that you usually see ammonia then nitrites then nitrates. I have a bundle of pothos hanging out the top of the tank and lots of salvinia minima (I think) which is supposed to suck up nitrates from what I understand. I'd assume it's not cycled yet but I know shrimp don't have a huge bioload.
There are a few hitchhiking snails who have been leaving trails all over the glass. There's algae growing and biofilm building up. I've been using seachem stability and a tiny bit of Bacter AE. I'm just worried that my tank is no where close to cycling and I would hate to make a very expensive mistake (let alone potentially hurt the shrimp).

IMG_8199.jpg
Kind of hard to tell with the lighting. I try to do my tests outside in actual sunlight. Seems to help a little bit. But I agree with you, having nitrates without ever reading nitrites does seem kind of improbable.

Upvote 0

Sofiafish17

mattgirl
I’m not sure either, I’ll call in the expert!

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Maybe your tap has some nitrates.

But if not, the nitrite bacteria could have cycled already and started to produce nitrates.
How long has it been running?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Nothing to worry about, relax.
As the bacteria that poop nitrates only eat nitrites you have both kinds of bacteria.

However I did not see the test results for your tap water. You will need to test the tap water ( change water source) for nitrates.

Upvote 0

saintanna

Maybe your tap has some nitrates.

But if not, the nitrite bacteria could have cycled already and started to produce nitrates.
How long has it been running?
it doesn’t have any i’ve checked. It’s been running for a bit more than a week with a bunch of stuff in it from my other cycled tanks.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

it doesn’t have any i’ve checked. It’s been running for a bit more than a week with a bunch of stuff in it from my other cycled tanks.
Oh yeah, then it's cycled.

Upvote 0

saintanna

As the bacteria that poop nitrates only eat nitrites you have both kinds of bacteria.

However I did not see the test results for your tap water. You will need to test the tap water ( change water source) for nitrates.
good point. let me test the tap again right now for nitrates to see the color comparison

the color looks preeeetty close so either my tap does have a bit of nitrates or the color for 0 nitrates is a bit orange
328EF0B8-7B93-4E7A-9707-A7CDB5E08630.jpeg

Upvote 0

Lucy

@saintana I've had the same thing happen when I cycled with established media.
Went from ammonia straight to nitrate.
The tank never showed nitrites.

Like Flyfisha said, nothing to worry about. :)

Upvote 0

saintanna

@saintana I've had the same thing happen when I cycled with established media.
Went from ammonia straight to nitrate.
The tank never showed nitrites.

Like Flyfisha said, nothing to worry about. :)
interesting!! thank you :)

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I agree with Flyfisha and Lucy You moved both ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria to this tank by moving so much from your cycled tanks. That is why you are seeing no nitrites and the nitrates are gradually going up. You basically instantly cycled this tank. It will still take a while for this tank to be firmly established so keep feeding it and give it time to settle in before adding your shrimp.

Upvote 0

saintanna

I agree with Flyfisha and Lucy You moved both ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria to this tank by moving so much from your cycled tanks. That is why you are seeing no nitrites and the nitrates are gradually going up. You basically instantly cycled this tank. It will still take a while for this tank to be firmly established so keep feeding it and give it time to settle in before adding your shrimp.
awesome! that’s so exciting!! so now i just have to wait a bit and make sure it stays stable

Upvote 0

mattgirl

awesome! that’s so exciting!! so now i just have to wait a bit and make sure it stays stable
This is the beauty of having a cycled tank. With it you never have to go through the long drawn out cycling process again. As long as the bio-load is higher in the tank the seeded media comes from than in the new tank the new tank will be instantly cycled. As I said, it isn't well established but it will already have both ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
attheworld
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies