Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Nitrates Troubles? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BettaBabe00, Apr 9, 2019.

1. BettaBabe00New MemberMember

Am I developing a Nitrate problem? I did a 25% water change yesterday and nitrates were about the same as they are this morning My source water has small amounts of nitrates... should I change what Im doing no before I have toxic levels?

My tank readings this morning...
    PH 7.4 Nitrite 0, Nitrates between 5.0 and 10.0, ammonia 0

Attached Files:

2. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Nitrates of 40 and below are normal and safe.

3. BettaBabe00New MemberMember

But is it ok that it doesn't drop after a water change?

4. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Not that much for a 25% change in a small tank.

5. BettaBabe00New MemberMember

Thank you!

6. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

if it was 5ppm, removing 25% would leave you with about 3.75ppm

if it was 10ppm, removing 25% would leave you with about 8ppm

as you can see, not that much different. doing larger water changes will remove more wastes(nitrates, metals, dissolved solids, organic compounds, etc). and also replenish minerals and micro nutrients consumed by the bacteria, fish, plants, etc.

7. BettaBabe00New MemberMember

Well mine didn't go down this time so maybe I am due for a larger water change. Ive been doing them everyday and every other day if the water is testing clear. So I wasn't really sure when my next big change was due. I suspect now is as good a time as any. I did a complete water change about two weeks ago for an ammonia spike. Im thinking a 50% change this week would be my best move since my tank isn't cycled. Am I right on that?

8. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

if you're doing a fishless cycle, no need to.

if you have fish, weekly water changes are good for them. removes other wastes other than just what we can test for. and replenished minerals and micro nutrients they (bacteria, fish, plants, etc) use up.