Nitrates Please....

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by aquadude91, Apr 12, 2017.

1. aquadude91

aquadude91 Valued Member Member

So my 10g heavily planted tank has prospered for the past 3 months, and have had no issues with water quality. I am having a problem getting nitrates above 5ppm.... my plants are showing signs of loss of nitrogen or nitrates... some days my nitrates are at 0, other days barely at 5.... I only do 30% water changes weekly, and maintain 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a pH of 7.8. I have the take plenty stocked, and I have 200gph filtration... I believe because the tank is small and it's so super heavily planted, they use up any nitrate it can get.

I know plants need nitrate! At least 10-20ppm.... what I need to know is what I can do to increase nitrate levels... also, I have a small outbreak of Cyanobacteria & brown algae (I know they prosper on nitrate) so if I am able to increase nitrate, is my algae problem going to get worse?

Help!

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

what kind of fish do you have
    maybe only 20% water changes or maybe even try skipping a week, i know some people that get away with bimonthlies

3. OP
    OP
    aquadude91

My water evaporates so immensely fast, about a 1/2 gallon per day.... so I have to keep topping it off, which in turn makes my water hard and pH o up, so every other time I top off, I remove 30% and refill.

4. andychrissytank

Ohh I see
    in that case you might need to buy some potassium nitrate (KNO3) for aquariums to supplement it

5. OP
    OP
    aquadude91

Where do I buy that?

6. andychrissytank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice