Nitrates In Tap And Cory Question

1. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Last time I tested my tap for nitrates was 2/6/17 and it was 0. I tested my tank nitrates today, both regular and dilution test and I'm getting about 20! That's after a 40% water change Saturday 4/1 and then another 20% on 4/5. So testing at 20 ppm today made me a bit upset. I tested tap and now it looks like it has 5ppm! What do I do to help combat this? My tank is 20 gallon and I have a aquaclear 50 filter. The only live plants I have is pothos roots.

Attached Files:

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

You can either:

1. Add a lot of fast growing plants to your tank,

2. Use Purigen

or

3. Use Chemipure Elite.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Uhg, welcome to my world (and I know @Tanks and Plants 's world as well) haha.
    I have 5-10 ppm at my tap too, some days its 0, some days its 10. I do not know of any product or device other than a RO filter that will get rid of the Nitrates at the tap, the only options are to do what you are doing (add plants that like Nitrates) or mix your tap with RO/DI/Bottled water.

4. Bizarro252

Just FYI Purigen adsorbs organics out of the water column before they can be converted to Nitrate through the nitrification process, it does not directly adsorb Nitrate.
    Chemipure Elite is a fancy bottle of nice carbon and GFO (granulated ferric oxide, good for dealing with phosphates), it will not have any significant impact on the nitrate levels in a tank.

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Really?

My bad then. Still, adding fast growing plants is about the best thing you can do in this scenario.

6. Bizarro252

Yep! Purigen is wonderful stuff however, dont get my wrong, I run it in all of my tanks!
    And ya, I just recently added Pothos and bamboo to a HOB fry tank thing that circulates water through it on my Mbuna tank in hopes of helping with Nitrates.

7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I have 80ppm nitrates in my tap water. Seachem matrix has worked well for me. Fast growing and floating plants like salvinia are also good. I do 10-20% water changes daily so I don't add too much nitrate to the tank. Nitrates in my tanks are always 10-20ppm

8. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Huzzah! Live plants! :) You will need to start using your lights more, if you do plant certain plants. I have anubias (I have no idea what type), crypts, and a rosette sword in my tank that are doing really well. I have some other plants that aren't doing as well: I can't remember their names at the moment. I got all of my plants as tissue culture plants since I didn't want any pests or weird stuff coming from the plants.

9. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and Plants Well Known Member Member

LoL don't we all just hate those Nitrates!

10. Bizarro252

I did tissue culture ones as well, well except for an amazon sword which after watching a video from Dustins Fish Tanks I decided I would try a dilute bleach dip on the one I bought non-cultured... I like my fish way more than a plant anyways so figured it was low risk :) I soaked the plant in prime laced water after a quick dip in dilute bleach solution. It came out fine and is still alive 5 days later so seems harmless :)

I got Java Ferns cultured, I read they are super easy, we will see but OP you might check those out.

11. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You might want to poke around in some saltwater forums because these guys have really good solutions to combat nitrates. I'm not sure how open you are to building things for your tank but things like an algae scrubber (not a brush, but a compartment to grow algae) does a pretty decent job of combating nitrates. Look on youtube for kingdiy algae scrubber and super charged algae scrubber to get an idea.

Another idea would be to make a refugium in the main compartment of your sump (if you have one). The idea is to grow pothos (house plant) in the main part along with an algae scrubber or two to really knock those nitrates back. You can alternatively grow pothos in hob filters on the back of your tank but not sure if you are averse (like me) to plants growing out of your tank. Just some ideas and food for thought. There are a lot of threads on this idea over at MFK that have a lot of great detail and user builds for these type of things.

12. Bizarro252

Good idea, those saltwater guys have a lot more things to worry about haha.

I started this up, still thinking about it:

Question - Diy Algae Scrubber Idea - Stupid Or Am I Onto Something?

I will check into some of the other things you mentioned. So far swapping to sand vs a sand/gravel mix and making the bed less deep has improved things, just because it stays cleaner, but that could just be because I just changed substrate a week ago, we will see how things go in the long run :)

13. OP
    OP
    Punkin

I fear pests and am not 100% sure if i should trust tissue cultured plants? How have they been for you?

I do have pothos on the back of my tank, I do like how it turned out for me, it's in the left in the picture I think it looks pretty.

I'm really irritated by these nitrates!!!!

Attached Files:

14. OP
    OP
    Punkin

Well I did a 50% water change today and will test nitrates tomorrow evening and see where we are at.

15. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Tissue culture are 100% pest free. I do highly recommend researching which plants you want before buying any of the tissue culture. They aren't all very friendly to grow in the average aquarium. I have bought all of mine from Petco and Petsmart; they are in those tubes near the aquarium decorations. :)

16. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think 20ppm nitrates isn't anything to be so concerned about. And 5ppm out of the tap isn't really a big deal either, IMO. If you do want them lower, you can do a larger % of a water change at one time - 50-60%.

17. OP
    OP
    Punkin

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if I could trust them to be pest free! I have heard good things about Buce Plant but I'm not sure how much shipping is. I'll have to research.

Thanks, @el337 . My concern is that I just had 2 cories with fin rot and I am concerned that is what may have caused it as I've read they are sensitive to higher nitrates.

18. el337

I think the consensus is that under 40ppm is ok and under 20ppm is ideal. IMO, your nitrates are fine and water change schedule looks good too so it's possibly something else causing the fin rot. Are you sure that's what it is or could there be some other fish nipping at them? Is it just the corys and black neons?

19. OP
    OP
    Punkin

Yes. It's a 20 gallon with 9 black neons and 5 albino cories. That's all. I have never witnessed any fin nipping. The cories that were affected are my 2 smallest. They just finished Qt for 8 days with triple sulfa and their fins are growing back. I am concerned about a relapse if nitrates aren't kept low. I religiously do 40% water changes every Saturday.

20. el337

It's a good sign that the fins are growing back. Just curious, how long have you had the corys?