Nitrates in planted

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Mer-max, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I've been told that black spots on my java fern is from lack of nitrates. I'm wondering how to get them to rise to an ideal amount? My 55 gal is 0's across the board using API master kit.

Every Saturday I use the recommended amount of API leaf zone and every morning I add co2 booster from API. I've got around 17 varying species of fish in there and the substrate is sand.

Also - I use the two t-5 lights, one white , one with a hint of pink. 6700k spectrum I believe.

Help would be awesome as my sword looks like its getting black spots and turning a ugly dark green on the outer, but has nice good growth from the center.

Thanks ahead guys!

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Leaf zone is just potassium and iron, I suggest switching to flourish comprehensive when you run out, it covers more bases.
    or
    Theres a couple ways to add nitrogen, either in dry/liquid fert form (kno3), flourish nitrogen is a liquid product, or increase your tank bioload.

3. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

Are you able to get a picture of the black spots? This sounds like it could be black brush algae, but I could be wrong. I believe a nitrogen deficiency in plants turns the leaves yellow, but never heard of deficiencies resulting in black spots. If it was only on the java fern I would have thought that it was the start of a new plant (it may as well be), but since it is on the sword that made me think it may be something else.

4. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

I'll have to check this to be sure, but I believe an overdose of iron in terrestrial plants can causes black spots. Maybe it does the same thing to planted tanks? Please wait for a confirmation before acting on this advice. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Sorry I didn't specify. The black on the sword and java are different. I don't think it's the same. Ill take a pic here in a sec. I was just looking at seachem flourish comprehensive on amazon, what else do I need to cover all bases and make sure I have everything I need?

6. kevin215

kevin215 Valued Member Member

Hey mer i have the same problem black spots on my plants. I have 20ppm nitrates in my tank and tap water so i don't think that is the problem.
    I have been pulling my plants out about once a month and cleaning it off to keep it in check.I can't figure out what it is but it is getting annoying pulling the plants out all the time.

7. jetajockey

A micromix like Flourish is usually enough in a low tech setup. It also has a relatively miniscule amount of macros in it as well.

But as you can see by your nitrate readings, you may need supplemental dosing for N.

8. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

Black spots on the back of the Java Fern could be spores. That's the fern's version of seeds.

9. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Here's the pics :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Here's the pics :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

What would I use to add nitrates?

And while using the flourish - I should stop using lead zone and the co2 booster, correct?

12. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

* leaf zone

13. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I use a combination of Leaf Zone and Flourish Comprehensive. The Flourish mainly supplies micronutrients, whereas iron and potassium (Leaf Zone's nutrients) are macronutrients. When only using Flourish Comprehensive, my plants turned up with deficiencies, but using both they've gone crazy! :D

14. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

The black spots on the amazon sword does look like black brush algae. From the 5th and 6th pictures I think those are little black tufts, but it is hard to tell. Here's a link that may help you positively identify it.  

If it is BBA, you can either shut down the filters, spot treat it with your API CO2 booster, and let it sit for a half hour. The other option is to cut off the infected leaves right before a water change. The source of the problem would need to be adressed to keep it from coming back. Common possible causes are low or inconsistent CO2 and too much light.

15. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I order flourish and flourish nitrogen

16. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Well, iron isn't a macro. Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (NPK) are the macro nutrients. I'd suggest adding Nitrogen into your tank in either a dry form (KNO3) or liquid (Flourish Nitrogen).

17. Eienna

It isn't? Whoops. I goofed.

18. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I'm going to bleach bath the affected plants Saturday like it says and see if it changes anything but I'm still unsure. Monday my ferts will be here so I won't dose anything Saturday and just start on Monday

I went ahead and cut back the sword because it had the most. The java ferns didn't have the alge on them, that's something making them turn black. The new leaves from the middle of the sword are trying to spiral - pretty sure it's from lack of something. I did a very close look all around for the algae and I will be bleaching my only fake plant and a few other items to kill the algae off and hopefully never see it again. It was located mostly in high spots close to the lights but ran down the stalks of the sword. I'm glad I learned all this before it got too horrible!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  19. jetajockey

No, it's not a goof, some people do consider Fe to be a macronutrient. All technicalities aside, for what we use it for, I think it's a fair assessment even though it's not used in the same proportion as the big 3. NPK are used in large quantities, Fe not so much, but quite a bit more than the other micros, so it's a toss up on how you want to define it.

Flourish does have both Fe and K in it by the way, just not very high levels of either. If one has a tank that is anything but low tech I would suggest moving on to dry ferts anyhow, since it's pennies on the dollar cheaper than the shelf stuff and allows for customization.

20. Eienna

Not enough K for my plants, it seems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice