Nitrates in my tap water

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So i have been noticing my nitrates rising quickly even after the large frequent water changes i do. So i tested my tap water and its at 20-30 ppm straight out of the tap!!! No wonder my nitrates are getting up to 40ppm!! So what do i do? I do 25 percent changes every monday wednesday friday which is 32 gallons every time!! I cant buy that much distilled water!! What do i do!!!???

DebsR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 40ppm nitrates in my tap water, I have JBL nitratEx in my filter which really seems to help keep them down, they are now below 5ppm about 2 hours after a water change

uncclewis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have the same issue. I have a denitrate tower. I am the best person to answer this. what sort of filter do you have.

Dont use a resin that is too much work lol, and costly. I will help you both.

uncclewis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is a great thread! I want to add to it. Add these in a plastic bag with small holes in it and seed it with continuum clean F. add as much as is called for on the directions and no more. put it in your canister.

http://continuumaquatics.com/freshwater_fil/exxodus_nitryx-f.php

OR buy this, which is what I use. Put polyfill at the bottom then put the stuff on top

if your aquarium is bigger use this one

if you dont have a canister

It is self sufficient, but occasionally adding clean F will ensure all fish are healthy.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
uncclewis said:
I have the same issue. I have a denitrate tower. I am the best person to answer this. what sort of filter do you have.

Dont use a resin that is too much work lol, and costly. I will help you both.
2 AC110s

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
DebsR said:
I have 40ppm nitrates in my tap water, I have JBL nitratEx in my filter which really seems to help keep them down, they are now below 5ppm about 2 hours after a water change
What is JBL nitratEx?

uncclewis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, then I would use what I showed you because it is less work. Use the aquatop. The larger one.

My towers run for about 4 months before I clean them and they keep my nitrates near 0. I only clean them because the flow has nearly stopped. No other reason. It won't harm the fish. Adding clean F helps to ensure that. Of course still do water changes every 2 weeks or 3

Shopping list:

Then change your water at least every 3-4 weeks. Clean the aquatop about every 3 months, only the polyester change that only

It will function as a dedicated water flosser too

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
uncclewis said:
Ok, then I would use what I showed you because it is less work. Use the aquatop. The larger one.

My towers run for about 4 months before I clean them and they keep my nitrates near 0. I only clean them because the flow has nearly stopped. No other reason. It won't harm the fish. Adding clean F helps to ensure that. Of course still do water changes every 2 weeks or 3

Shopping list:

Then change your water at least every 3-4 weeks. Clean the aquatop about every 3 months, only the polyester change that only

It will function as a dedicated water flosser too
So the tower goes inside the tank or on the outside? I have never seen one of these before so sorry ahead of time if that is a dumb question lol

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
bkaiser3 said:
Is matrix different from ceramic biomaxx? Also how would the instant ocean work with me doing water changes every other day? Would i have to dose with every water change? Great thread by the way thank you!
Yes, its different in that it has very small spaces inside (unlike bio-max) that can anaerobic, de-nitrifying bacteria. You can use it in place of bio-max. It isn't instantaneous and takes a number of weeks for the bacteria to form. I use it both my 33g aquarium and my pond personally. Instant Ocean won't do you alot of good if you're changing water all the time right now. Nitrazorb would help pretty much immediately though.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
CindiL said:
Yes, its different in that it has very small spaces inside (unlike bio-max) that can anaerobic, de-nitrifying bacteria. You can use it in place of bio-max. It isn't instantaneous and takes a number of weeks for the bacteria to form. I use it both my 33g aquarium and my pond personally. Instant Ocean won't do you alot of good if you're changing water all the time right now. Nitrazorb would help pretty much immediately though.
Could i replace the carbon is my HOB filters with the nitrazorb?

uncclewis

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hope you know resins do not last that long, that is the only issue, you also need to keep an eye on trace elements when you use resins

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
bkaiser3 said:
Could i replace the carbon is my HOB filters with the nitrazorb?
I don't believe nitrazorb effects trace minerals.

Yep. It just uses an ion exchange method. It replaces the nitrate ions coming into the resin with sodium chloride ions (not directly salt). Once its used up then nitrates will start to rise. Most people keep two pouches, one charged (you re-charge it with a few tablespoons of salt and water) and one in the tank.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
uncclewis said:
I hope you know resins do not last that long, that is the only issue, you also need to keep an eye on trace elements when you use resins
I dont know much about any of this stuff. I can tell you all about large south american cichlids but things like this not much. I replied to your post with the shopping list of items for that hang on thing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom