NITRATES in 4 Days UPDATE : cycling w/ nutrafin stuff

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi all,

im attempting to cycle my 47gal tank using the Nutrafin product called Cycle.

after putting in the recommended dosage and treating that tap water for chlorine and chloramine these are the readings i have after two days:

day1/
ph 8, ammonia 0.9ppm, nitrite 0

day2/
ph 8, ammonia 0.6ppm, nitrite 0.1ppm

now this looks like it is on the right track but im a novice and was wondering if the ammonia shouldnt be higher at the start and if should be declining so rapidly?

i will continue to post my water readings on this same post for the next couple of days... if anyone has any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated (the one lfs i went to yesterday wouldnt give me any filter media or gravel to jump start the tank and i dont wanna use fish).

also,

if anyone is in the Edmonton (Canada) area and knows of a good lfs (or is willing to offer some of their used filter juice/gravel to a newbie) other than one of the big chains (PJs or PetSmart) i would be very thankful!

old update

i have heard that some people use fish food to aid in the cycling of the tank. i have also read that most flake food doesnt have anything that would help in this process. with this in mind how would frozen bloodworms or other more substantial food fair as a an aid to fishless cycling?

UPDATE

see my latest post below

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: cycling w/ nutrafin stuff

I don't think there's an absolute as far as how high the ammonia should go. Just look at it as a blessing that you are already getting nitrites this early in the game! Keep posting your test results. It looks like you are on your way!

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score

just what i wanted to hear! will continue updating my first post with new stats if anyone is interested (highly unlikely)

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Yep. do that. It will help us determine where you are in your cycle.

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
day 3/

ph 7.9
ammonia 0.6ppm
nitrite 0.1ppm
nitrate not tested

day 4/

ph 7.9
ammonia 0.3ppm
nitrite 0.05ppm
nitrate 5ppm

WOWZER i never figured i would be getting nitrate readings so soon, let alone after 4 days. when i noted the decline in ammonia and nitirite i decided to test the nitrates and there it was!

is this tank almost ready for fish? it cant be much longer until the ammonia and nitrite are gone completely. at what level should i be satisfied for ntirates? say 10ppm?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom