Nitrates High Im Thinking About Vodka

Dennis Ross

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have had a high nitrates using a 12 gal refugium with mud and plants and live sand. on top of a 35 gal sump Have done large water changes in last three days .Still around 40 ppm. Only feeding once a day and it is all eaten in minutes. Do you think 28 drops of vodka a day will help

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What does vodka do and is it harmless (I am assuming that you are saying it will reduce nitrates)?

OP
D

Dennis Ross

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am using a two part test kit from mars fish care 10 drops shake 30 seconds 10 drops and shake one min and wait 5 min The only thing I have changed is I am now using reef chilI every other day

there have been lots of studies on this and I does take time as every thing about saltwater does. it feeds the good bacteria

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look into using biopellets too. I've used the pellets for quite a while now and always have very low nearly undetectable nitrates using salifert test kits.

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm curious how these biopellets would compare to an algae refugium? Is it that there is lower maintenance etc... I'm currently working on a algae refug. 'cause I need the pod's to develop here too.

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lower maintenance and easier to use since you don't need a separate tank or space dedicated to growing macro-algae. You just need a media reactor and powerhead to use biopellets.

Another thing to keep in mind is algal allelopathy - if interested, go to google scholar and do a search on it. Corals and algae can wage chemical warfare. Some algae is worse than others. You can alleviate it to a certain extent with water changes and activated carbon but I decided to just use the biopellets and not have to worry about it.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, welcome to Fishlore

Word of caution: Carbon dosing (Vodka, Vodka/Sugar/Vinegar, Red Sea NO3O4-X, Biopellets) should only be undertaken if you understand how it all works.

There are some primary concepts to understand, specifically, the relationship between carbon, nitrates and phosphates. This is known as the Redfield ratio, and is roughly 106:16:1, there's a great write-up by one of my local reefers:

As with many things in SW, you need to build up to it, especially if liquid dosing. Too much too quick, you can crash the tank. Additionally, too much and you can crash the tank.

I used Red Sea's NO3O4-X (VSV) for a while, but got tired of the daily dosing, and switched to bio-pellets. Bio-pellets achieve the same result, but are a lot less maintenance - be sure to read Mike's review https://www.fishlore.com/biopellets.htm

But before embarking on carbon dosing, how is your system setup, what is your maintenance regime, what skimmer do you have? (Note: carbon dosing requires a very efficient skimmer).

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just searched/read some info to target both the truth and the myth, (unlikely possibility) about this phenomena in aquariums. I will continue, and down loaded a documentary that seems widely suggested called, "how plants communicate". There is also a consensus out there that Diana Walstad's chapter devoted to this has little relevance in the aquaria. I'm sure there must be indeed some relevance since you have a very real concern about this with more knowledge than I .I'm planning on going with a slowly tumbling chaetomorpha ball and growing pods in the refug,. My goal with pods is to sustain more than my two mandarin in my FOWLR. Thank you for the heads up and will take serious consideration/interest in this.

* I'm currently working with breeding copepods with the use of phytoplankton and piling live rock to allow pods to reproduce in safety within the tank itself.

1971roadrunner

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Mike. I don't want to get off the subject of this thread/apologize though, when better educated on allelopathy in the aquarium, would like to continue our discussion by posting a thread/otherwise on the topic.

New Threads