Nitrates Dropped, Nitrites Still High? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Pocha428, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Pocha428

Pocha428 New Member Member

I started my fishless cycle about 3-4 weeks ago. I used dr. Tim’s ammonia to dose and used either Stability or Nite-Out every other day. I also added medium from another established tank and live plants. I’ve kept my water to around 78 degrees. About two weeks ago my nitrites reached about 5 ppm and my nitrates where around 100pm. I did some water changes to bring it down and kept an eye on it. Nothing changed much. Today I did 2 large water changes. When I tested with the API test kit I got ph: 7.0 ammonia: .25ppm nitrites: .25ppm and nitrates:20 ppm I don’t understand why nitrates seem to be going down and ammonia and nitrites are still there. Also, my LFS suggested I come back tomorrow and get some feeder fish. I’ve come this far without torturing fish, should get some like they suggested?

2. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

You have ammonia source so there is no need for feeder fish just keep going until you see zero ammonia and nitrites I've seen some tanks taken longer to to cycle sounds like you where close and that's when you did the 2 large water Changes if there no fish in there and your live plants are travelling fine done change the water until cycled advantage of going fishless
    Once it's cycled time to stock it slowly or keep feeding it ammonia some still test a few times after its cycled with ammonia to ensure it drops back to 0 over night couple times have a good read up in the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycle with ammonium chloride (nh4)

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

How high did you dose the ammonia level to? The water changes would explain your nitrites dropping down to .25ppm and your nitrates dropping down to 20ppm. So I would have to assume your ammonia level was pretty high prior to the water changes.

Since you seem to be processing ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates, it would seem you are very close to being cycled. I would recommend that you test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates every 24 hours. If ammonia is below 2ppm, dose it back up to 2ppm. Then once you have 0ppm nitrites and more nitrates than you have now and your are processing all 2ppm of ammonia within 25 hours, you'll be cycled.

I would not add any fish at this point, since you should be cycled pretty quickly now.

Best of luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice