Nitrates Are Way Off

Chandell

8982464E-605C-4B17-A14A-AFD10DC23217.jpeg
2D2A350E-01AB-441A-9C78-579F37E896BE.jpeg HI everyone, hoping you can help me last week my ammonia tested at 0.25, nitrates 0, nitrates 5. Today my ammonia is .25, nitrates 0 and nitrates 3 is a clear colour and is not even on the chart? Does someone know what this means and what I should do? I do weekly 50% water changes.

YesI'mCycled
HI Chandell - I would suspect there is something wrong with the nitrate test. Any chance you could redo it?

Chandell
View attachment 426926 View attachment 426925 HI everyone, hoping you can help me last week my ammonia tested at 0.25, nitrates 0, nitrates 5. Today my ammonia is .25, nitrates 0 and nitrates 3 is a clear colour and is not even on the chart? Does someone know what this means and what I should do? I do weekly 50% water changes.
I should add that I have had this tank set up since January and was using ro water. Then someone told me there is no minerals in that water that my fish need. I am waiting for an order of equilibrium to come since they don’t have it at the pet stores. Last week I did a water change and added some tap water (mostly ro)because I was worried about no minerals. This is the only recent change I don’t know if that is why.

TexasGuppy
Did you shake the #2 bottle really well before test? That doesn't look right. I think the API master kit has a problem with ammonia testing. I was thinking I had issues but when I tested bottled water is also looked like .25.

Thunder_o_b
Check the expiration date.

Chandell
HI Chandell - I would suspect there is something wrong with the nitrate test. Any chance you could redo it?
I did it twice

Check the expiration date.
Expires 2020

Did you shake the #2 bottle really well before test? That doesn't look right. I think the API master kit has a problem with ammonia testing. I was thinking I had issues but when I tested bottled water is also looked like .25.
Yes I did shake it for I minute as the instructions said

I just used the 5 in 1 strips and the nitrates came out normal

I have been using this test kit for months and never had this.

RonJ

You need to add 10drops of Solution 1, after shaking the Solution 1 bottle for 10seconds. The test tube that u added should be held upside down and then straight up many many times. While you are doing it in one hand take the Solution 2 bottle and shake violently for 30seconds. Then add 10drops of Solution 2 to the test tube and then shake the whole test tube violently for 1minute.

If you don’t do this you won’t get accurate reading. Saying this from my personal experience.

Chandell
You need to add 10drops of Solution 1, after shaking the Solution 1 bottle for 10seconds. The test tube that u added should be held upside down and then straight up many many times. While you are doing it in one hand take the Solution 2 bottle and shake violently for 30seconds. Then add 10drops of Solution 2 to the test tube and then shake the whole test tube violently for 1minute.

If you don’t do this you won’t get accurate reading. Saying this from my personal experience.
I did that.

Mom2some
So prior to today you have gotten appropriate/expected readings with the nitrate liquid test?

Chandell
So prior to today you have gotten appropriate/expected readings with the nitrate liquid test?
Yes my nitrates have always tested normal although the past couple weeks my ammonia shows .25. That started once I added live plants.

Mom2some
Yes my nitrates have always tested normal although the past couple weeks my ammonia shows .25. That started once I added live plants.
I hate to say - I have no idea other than a problem with the test kit. You had nitrates previously (I think at level 5ppm? your initial posts I think writes nitrates twice when you mean nitrites and nitrates) and now you not only do you not have none=0=yellow, you have clear. That has to be a test kit malfunction. Or perhaps an april fool's joke a week late? Do you live somewhere with a LFS that uses test kits who could double check it for you? I know this seems odd, but I might ask someone else to use your test kit and see what result they get (based on my own life experience that sometimes, it really is just me for no clear reason).

Chandell
I hate to say - I have no idea other than a problem with the test kit. You had nitrates previously (I think at level 5ppm? your initial posts I think writes nitrates twice when you mean nitrites and nitrates) and now you not only do you not have none=0=yellow, you have clear. That has to be a test kit malfunction. Or perhaps an april fool's joke a week late? Do you live somewhere with a LFS that uses test kits who could double check it for you? I know this seems odd, but I might ask someone else to use your test kit and see what result they get (based on my own life experience that sometimes, it really is just me for no clear reason).
Ya it’s weird because I have been using this test kit for months. That’s a good idea, I don’t have an lfs but maybe I can take it to the pet store where I bought it and have them test it. Thanks

sheehanje
I use RODI water - and, yes, you do need something like Equilibrium - but the Ph isn't going to be very stable because there is no Kh (or very little) in RO water. For me, it's a regimen of Equilibrium, Acid Buffer and Alkaline buffer - to re-mineralize and to get and hold the Ph where I need it.

As far as the nitrate issue - did you happen to get an explosion of algae? That will consume nitrates.

TexasGuppy
Even if there were zero nitrates, the water color should be yellow. I would replace the nitrate test solutions.

Chandell
I use RODI water - and, yes, you do need something like Equilibrium - but the Ph isn't going to be very stable because there is no Kh (or very little) in RO water. For me, it's a regimen of Equilibrium, Acid Buffer and Alkaline buffer - to re-mineralize and to get and hold the Ph where I need it.

As far as the nitrate issue - did you happen to get an explosion of algae? That will consume nitrates.
No algae. My ph always seems stable at 7.6

Even if there were zero nitrates, the water color should be yellow. I would replace the nitrate test solutions.
Yes it usually is always yellow. I don’t think I can buy it separately I will have to check. I just feel if it wasn’t working it would ya e done that from the start but who knows.

Chandell
View attachment 426926 View attachment 426925 HI everyone, hoping you can help me last week my ammonia tested at 0.25, nitrates 0, nitrates 5. Today my ammonia is .25, nitrates 0 and nitrates 3 is a clear colour and is not even on the chart? Does someone know what this means and what I should do? I do weekly 50% water changes.
So I just did another test and I have no idea what happened the other day but today my nitrites are 0 and nitrates between 0 and 5.0. I did do the test twice the other day so I’m not sure but at least everything is good! Thanks for all your help!

Mom2some
Hooray!

sheehanje
So I just did another test and I have no idea what happened the other day but today my nitrites are 0 and nitrates between 0 and 5.0. I did do the test twice the other day so I’m not sure but at least everything is good! Thanks for all your help!

The Nitrate test is the most difficult of the standard water tests. I usually end up testing twice and shaking/banging the heck out of bottle #2 to get accuracy. Glad everything worked out.

Chandell
The Nitrate test is the most difficult of the standard water tests. I usually end up testing twice and shaking/banging the heck out of bottle #2 to get accuracy. Glad everything worked out.
Thanks, I did shake the bottle for 30 seconds and the tube for 1 minute but maybe I didn’t shake hard enough.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
junebug
Replies
Views
Scampy
Top Bottom