Nitrates are always 40ppm- why?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by The Fish Lady, Jul 19, 2015.

1. T

The Fish Lady Valued Member Member

What am I doing wrong? I always have nitrates running at 40 it seems. I have a 36 gal bow front with a Quietflow 55/75 filter and a sponge filter, set up since March. I do at least a 50-60% water change weekly and I vacuum the sand. How can I lower my nitrates!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Have you tested your tap water? that could be the source of the high nitrates

3. OP
    OP
    T

The Fish Lady Valued Member Member

No, didn't think of that. I'll give that a try

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I live in the Midwest and there are always nitrates in the tap from field run off.

5. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I've heard of people growing house plants hydroponically in their HOB filters to reduce nitrates. Unfortunately I know nothing about this but it might be worth researching. Also floating aquatic plants are supposed to eat more nitrates

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Pothos work very well for this. There is a thread here of a members using different kinds of house plants to reduce nitrates.

7. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Yes my tap water measures 10-20 ppm and I live in the mohave desert. I have to use a 50/50 tap/ro mix. Nitrates in tap water is pretty common.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice