Nitrates and poisoning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by derkulies, Jul 13, 2015.

1. derkulies

derkulies Valued Member Member

At what level do nitrates become poisonous? At what point do you want nitrates in a planted tank? I've been looking all over the board on this one and would love experienced hobbiest advice on this. Some people say you need them under 10ppm. Some say between 20 and 40. I tested my water at 40 ppm but it recently jumped to that after I started dosing with flourish. Was 20ppm

I just feel confused because to get out nitrates is by water change but if your fertilizer causes it to go up seems counter productive.

Any help would be welcome !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Your plants use nitrates as one of the many nutrients to grow. You generally want to keep nitrates under 40 ppm, with plants it will generally be lower. I generally have 5-10 nitrates on a weekly basis, that's with a weekly or biweekly water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    derkulies

So I should slow down on my fertilitilizer dosing then if it caused such a jump ? Cause I had 10-20ppm on my nitrates before last week and using seachem flourish

Cause it says every day to every other day. Should I go to twice a week like I do with micronutrients?

4. Dom90

You should only be using Flourish once a week at the most, two if its heavily planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Are you confusing flourish comp with flourish excel? Excel is a carbon supplement that can be dosed every day, flourish comp is a once per week deal, twice if you have a heavy planted tank.

6. OP
    OP
    derkulies

No I have the smaller bottle for comp. small bottle with micro and I do half dose twice a week. Wednesday and Sunday(water change day) My nitrate spike came after every other day half dose of excel. I do water changes once weekly of 15%

7. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

So the rise in nitrates you noticed after starting to dose Flourish Excel?

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

What % of water are you changing out every week? If you are only changing 25- 30%, you may want to consider changing out 50 to 75% weekly. Remember that nothing beats fresh water for your fish and there is nothing wrong with doing larger amounts of water changes.

The Nitrites for my 265g aquarium stay at 20 to 40. No harm done. Stocking list in my signature.

I dose once a week with my plant fertilizers. Excel, Iron, Potassium, Comprehensive. The plants I have are Anubias, Java Fern, Swords and Marimo Balls.

Ken

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  9. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

I think what you mean or read about is Nitrite poising. I don't think "Nitrates" can poison a fish. Far before that you would have problems with fungus and bacterial diseases because of all the organic waste accumalating in the aquarium. Or more specifically the substrate. If your gonna use it at all use sand, or if you have to have gravel/rocks use a UG filter too keep it aerated and healthy. That is where your nitrates are coming from. (tho im sure the fert uses nitrates too, but they wont hurt your fish)

10. OP
    OP
    derkulies

So funny story here I'm pretty sure where the nitrates are coming from. Over bioload from food I woke up this morning to fee my fish and there be my youngest daughter feeding them. I asked her how long she has been doing that. Got the classic idk response. Then I asked how often she been doing it. Response "like us breakfast lunch and diner!"

Lol kids. I'll do a series of large water changes to get them back to 20-40ppm

11. Dom90

Lol... "Keep out of reach of children"... does that say that on the food container? :eek:

12. OP
    OP
    derkulies

Matt and I do mean nitrates. Or so I have been reading. But I have heard that you need to stay under 10ppm and some say 20-40ppm us fine and other stories of people with 160+ppm. I personally have noticed that I have been doing water changes and when I got to 40ppm my fish were more active and my Blue gouramis stopped hiding

I'll have to look when I go home lol but yeah it was crazy cuz I was steady at 20 ppm for months and the only thing I had changed was my ferts so I was baffled then woke up to that this morning so I'm sure it had alot to do with it

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice