Nitrates And Plants.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Zorro A. Knievel Esq., Jun 23, 2018.

1. Z

Zorro A. Knievel Esq. Valued Member Member

My 75 gallon has finally cycled! Ammonia and Nitrites are processing to 0 ppm within 24 hours of pure ammonia being added at 3 ppm. I am going to start adding fish hopefully tomorrow. I was curious and tested my nitrates just to see what they were at before doing the expected 90% water change as per the fishless cycle instructions, and they were at 0 ppm. They were at 20 ppm a couple days ago before I added a couple bunches of hornwort and one more large water hyacinth. My question is: do plants (particularly hornwort and water hyacinth) suck up that much nitrates? I've read a lot of differing views as to how effective plants in general are at keeping nitrates down. I know they are not replacements for regular water changes and good filtration, I'm just curious.

2. OP
    OP
    Z

Here's a pic of the tank. I need to learn how to take pictures better haha. Maybe one day I can get my sister to take some professional ones with her fancy equipment haha. 20180623_214613.jpg

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

If you have the API liquid test, make sure to follow the directions. Fill tube with water, add 10 drops of bottle one, cap and invert several times, shake bottle 2 vigorously for 30 seconds, add 10 drops to the tube, cap and shake tube vigorously for 1 minute. Wait 5. If you don’t shake hard or long enough, it ruins the test. I doubt your plants would consume that many nitrates.

4. OP
    OP
    Z

I'll try it again. I didn't read you had to shake the test tubes that long haha.

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Betcha 5 dollars it’s different this time then ;)

6. OP
    OP
    Z

You win $5. They're at 5 ppm.

7. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I'm currently cycling a 30 gallon tank myself. It has cycled fot the most part, but my nitrates are off the charts despite water changes, but I discovered that my nitates are 20 from the tap. Any, I have a tank that has had fish fo awhile and my nitrates are around 5 Even though my ammonia is greater than 80 all the time...I think my Aqueon ammonia detoxifier is all that's keeping them alive and well. Any I use houseplants cuttings in the tank and my nitrates are extremely low. So yes, plants make that much difference with nitrates. Here's a pic of th back of my tank with Pothos cuttings. 338b228004dcb88244accb39597a8c6e.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice