Nitrates and bacteria bloom

whyvonwhy

I started my 20 gallon tank, which was an upgrade from 3 gallon tank with guppies, 1ballon Molly, 2 Mickey Mouse platyies and a dwarf gourami, and a otto for algae control. I understand that I am going through the nitrogen cycle and my ammonia level has ranged from 0.25-0.50 and would do water changes at least once a week, some times 2-3 depending on my ammonia level. So I see the light at the end on the tunnel when my ammonia dropped to zero, nitrites are zero but my nitrates at between 60-80 and what has resulted? A bacteria bloom. So through the sea of googling I'm finding mixed responses to this. Should I treat this or just watch and wait? I just did a 25% pwc weds. I have the API master kit along with a sea chem ammonia detector in my tank. First time I've seen that pretty yellow! I thought it was a fluke! I did test my tap water for nitrates and it is zero so that's not the problem. I haven't lost any fish and they seem to be doing fine.

AnthonyC4C

Keep going with 25% to 35% water changes, also invest into some seachem prime

whyvonwhy

I do condition with Prime

AnthonyC4C

Hmmm... try leaving the tank alone for 24 hours after to see if your levels drop then maybe 48 to see if it drops... that's what I would try...

jdhef

I recommend doing some water changes to get those nitrates down under 20ppm. The bacteria bloom shoukd clear up on it's own in a few days, so I wouldn't get too upset about it.

Your pretty heavily stocked, so that means more ammonia, and in a cycled tank the more ammonia that is being produced the more nitrates you end up with. So my guess would be that you're going to need to do 50% weekly water changes to keep your nitrates under 20ppm.

whyvonwhy

I did a 25% pwc and I hate to admit this, but remember I'm new so please don't judge, I wasn't using my vacuum properly. I was given wrong instruction at the LPS. I was told to lightly vacuum top. I YouTube and saw I was doing it totally wrong! So I did it the right way so hopefully that makes a difference. I'm ok with doing large water changes. It's on my bar so it drains right into the sink and it takes 15 mins tops.

jdhef

I was using the gravel vac the same way when I first started. Then the first time I went down to the bottom glass I couldn't believe all the gook that came up.

But you are correct, all that gook in the gravel decomposes, turns into ammonia-->nitrites-->nitrates. So there's a good chance your nitrates will stay lower now you are getting all that debris out.

whyvonwhy

Update: my nitrate was 40 this morning! Guess vacuuming correctly makes a difference! Lol I'll test again tomorrow and will do another pwc if still elevated

flyinggogo

I hope u got some supplimental veggie or algae food for your oto. I doubt your new tank has enough of what it eats to keep it healthy. Normally id say up your otos to five or six but since your tank is new I wouldn't do that yet. My otos like omega one veggie waffers. Honestly about every fish I have loves them.

whyvonwhy

I hope u got some supplimental veggie or algae food for your oto. I doubt your new tank has enough of what it eats to keep it healthy. Normally id say up your otos to five or six but since your tank is new I wouldn't do that yet. My otos like omega one veggie waffers. Honestly about every fish I have loves them.
Thanks for the tip, I'll get some next trip to LPS

whyvonwhy

Nitrates back up to 80 did a 50% wc conditioned with prime and changed my filter, which was filthy. I think I'm over feeding. They just seem so hungry, but I think they will eat anytime no matter what. Plus they get bloodworms about 2-3 a week.

jdhef

Healthy fish always act as is they are starving. But since they are coldblooded they do not burn calories producing body heat, so fish can live on a lot less food that you would think. You have a much better chance of harming your fish by over feeding than you do by underfeeding. So long as each fish gets a couple bites of food at each feeding, they will be fine.

AnthonyC4C

I only feed 2x a day and vacuum up anything that's left...BUT...NOW...my dang fish literally snub their noses to flake food now so, I refuse to feed them brine shrimp until they start eating flake again...Brats! Never seen bratty snobby fish about food until my recent inhabitants...

RaeRose89

Fish always act hungry. My cory cats will go from a dead standstill to frantic little eating machines the minute the top is open,whether I put food in or not. And the gourami goes straight to the top whenever I walk by his tank, no matter if I just fed him or not. They're little piggies.

whyvonwhy

Update: my numbers are near perfect. Nitrates now 20 and the water is starting to clear

AnthonyC4C

Update: my numbers are near perfect. Nitrates now 20 and the water is starting to clear

Glad to hear!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lvlacic
Replies
Views
DuaneV
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishDin