nitrates 30-40

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thanks every one for you help, one more question, since I just did a 20% water change but the nitrate is stil reading 30-40 when should I do another water change, should I just continue with the weakly 20%, and get some plants

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I brought a tank from a lady once who only changed her water once ever 6 months the nitrates were off the scale. I don't see how the fish, a gold severum and a pleco stayed alive in it.

It was a 55 gallon. I did an 8 gallon water change everyday for 2 weeks, before the nitrates came down to 5 to 10.

Since you tank is not that bad and really doesn't need that hardcore of water changes. I think I would change 8 to 10 gallons every other day for until the nitrates came down. I would test the water a few hours after every change to see if it was dropping the nitrates.
Hi fish bum, hey I didn't see you post before I posted my last post, I was still on the first page, your suggestion sounds reasonable.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL!

I'd suggest daily 40-50% water changes until you get the nitrate level where you want it to be. Once you get it there, test daily and see how long it takes to climb back up. This should give you a good idea of how much water to change and how often it needs to be done to keep the level where you want it.

First, though, I'd recommend testing the nitrate level in your tap water. We need to rule that out as a contributing factor to the problem.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First, though, I'd recommend testing the nitrate level in your tap water. We need to rule that out as a contributing factor to the problem.
I thought about this too, but then I figured that with a well-established bacterial colony, nitrate in tap water would be processed anyway. Outside of changing water sources, I would think that the advice wouldn't change regardless of the source of nitrates. It would still be to do more frequent/larger water changes, how much ever it takes to keep the nitrates down to a desired level?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nitrate isn't processed; it is the result of the nitrification process. We do water changes to remove nitrate. My thought was, if the level is high enough in the tap so that water changes aren't really helping, then it might be time to try something like mixing RO with tap water for water changes.

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I got a couple of more live plants today and a chinese algea eater, boy he is ugly but also got quite as ugly as some of the other kinds. I also got some tetra plant food but wanted to ask on here is that is ok to ad right now or should I wait since I'm having the nitrate issue. We also went to the beach today and this is a little off topic but I found this super cool piece of driftwood. If I soak it in fresh water can I put in my tank or is that a no no. I have always lived in the pacific NW but this was the first beach I have been to that had a don't harrass the killer whale sign.....pretty cool.
Oh and I will test my tap water for the nitrate level today.

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The chinese algae eater will become more aggressive as it matures and is likely to pick on everything in your tank IMO. Would it be possible to return it?
That figures, now I have to catch the ugly thing, hes way to ugly to let him pick on everything in my tank.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aw, I'm sorry to bring you the bad news.
Sounds like you got some bad advice at the LFS.

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aw, I'm sorry to bring you the bad news.
Sounds like you got some bad advice at the LFS.
Oh thats ok. He's already out, Hes not the first fish I have had to take back. I was told that Gouramis got along and we had the Neon first and I love him hes very pretty. Any how we got another Dwarf and a pearl Gourami and they kicked tha **** out of him for about 2 weeks until I finally got fed up and took them back. Now everybody gets along fine. I find it comical that my blue Ram and the neon Gourami hang out like they are buddies.
A couple times my Neon will nip my very large Angels long fins and its fun to watch that Angel turn around very slowly and look at him as if he is say oh really.......lol...the Gourami quit nipping their fins. Anybody want to tell me that I dont need to use the plant food before I go back to the fish store????

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know about the plant food, but might I suggest that you not buy any more fish until you're satisfied with your nitrates, as more fish waste will produce more nitrates?

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know about the plant food, but might I suggest that you not buy any more fish until you're satisfied with your nitrates, as more fish waste will produce more nitrates?
Ok we dont even want anymore fish, we just thought it would be good to have somthing to eat the algea, but I never saw a algea eater that I thought was very attactive so maybe I'll just scrub the tank.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They have those magnet things for glass tanks. I don't care for plecos, CAE, or SAE, but I do think otos can be cute. But otos need to be in a school, and they need to go into "aged" tanks that have been cycled for at least 6 months.

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They have those magnet things for glass tanks. I don't care for plecos, CAE, or SAE, but I do think otos can be cute. But otos need to be in a school, and they need to go into "aged" tanks that have been cycled for at least 6 months.
Yes, we were looking at the magnet things today, pretty cool. I don't know what a oto looks like but I will look one up.

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that I tested the water out of my tap and it was fine only slighty darker than 0 about a 2 at the most. We did another water change and tested the water a few hours later and it was between 20-30ppm this time instead of 30-40. thanks for all of your help

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom