nitrates 30-40

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi our tank has been set up for about 3 months, our ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and ph is about 7.8 but the nitrate is about 30-40 and we have a big brown algea bloom, I read some in the nitrogen cycle about the brown algea and relize that when the tank gets more phosphates that there will be more green than brown algea. We did a %20-%25 water change to get the nitrates down but did a test 24 hours after the water change but the nitrate test still reads the same. Its a API master test kit and I fallow the directions and shake bottle # 2 for 30sec and then 1 minute to mix and wait 5 minutes. Now the strip test says fine safe, and even the API test anything 40 and below is fine but I have been told on this forum 5-20 is better. Do I need to be doing somthing else? My fish are 3 angels 2 german blue rams, a neon dwarf gourami, and a catfish. They all seem fine very healthy and always hungry, but I want to make sure it stays that way. I have added some prime and stability just a little, to make sure the nitrates dont stress them. I have 2 live plants and plan on adding some more to see if that helps.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Stability does not contain aquatic bacteria and can mess up your cycle - I wouldn't use it. Nitrates are controlled by water changes. You may need to do them more frequently or do bigger ones. The brown algae may be diatoms, which is common in a newer tank.

Welcome to fishlore.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Shake, beat, bang, abuse that 2nd nitrate bottle. I had a similar problem, but my tests kept coming back with 0 nitrates. I'm not able to measure nitrates. It may help you.

Another thing to check is the lot number. It tells you when the mix was produced. Most API products last 3 years. If you post the lot number on your test bottles, we can rule out an expired product.

Now, some questions about your tank:
--How much are you feeding your fish? Overfeeding is a common problem, especially when fish are so good at making you think they are starving when that is not the case.

--When you do water changes, do you also clean the gravel? Cleaning the gravel helps to pick up any uneaten food at the bottom of the tank.

--How often do you do a water change?

--How big is your aquarium?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
But if we do bigger and more water changes won't that get rid of too much beneficial bacteria possibly?
Nope. Beneficial bacteria adheres to the surfaces of the tank and filter. Very little is free-floating. You need to be doing weekly water changes to keep your nitrates down. I do 50-60% weekly, but that is a little higher than most others.

Would you mind going up to your settings and editing your aquarium info? Members really rely on the info when giving advice.

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Where would I find the lot # on my test kit?

We do vacumme the gravel, and were told to do the water changes every two weeks but we have done 2 this past week to try to get the nitrates down.
I feed the fish morning and night but only a little that they can finish quickly, the catfish is a great vacumme cleaner too, but maybe I should only feed once a day? You are right they a great beggars!!
55 gallon aqarium, and I will edit that on my info, I thought I did when I joined but its not showing up.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Feeding less and doing larger water changes will help. Did I miss the answer to how big your tank is?

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nope. Beneficial bacteria adheres to the surfaces of the tank and filter. Very little is free-floating. You need to be doing weekly water changes to keep your nitrates down. I do 50-60% weekly, but that is a little higher than most others.

Would you mind going up to your settings and editing your aquarium info? Members really rely on the info when giving advice.
My info I added is in my about me section? I haven't figured out yet how to have it below my name but I'll work on it??? Its a 55 gallon tank....

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi lisi, welcome to fishlore

I'm going to respectfully disagree with meenu about stability [sorry meenu ]. There have been many stories on fishlore supporting the product, and, IMO and IME I haven't experienced any problems with it. I don't think we have enough conclusive evidence to make a 100% decision on stability. Having said that, Tetra Safe Start is the more highly recommended product for the introduction of bb to the tank. [just my opinion )

On the topic of Nitrates, many members succesfully run up to 40ppm, however we recommend 5-20ppm because it gives you 'room for error'. Nitrates in low quantities are not harmful to your fish, but can cause irritation to them if exposed to higher levels for a long period of time. By keeping the levels lower, you can also reduce the size of your water changes to maintain a good level (e.g. about 20% weekly, rather than 30-50%)

You mention that you'd like to add more plants, I think that's a great idea. Your plants will love the higher nitrate levels, and will probably help stabilise/reduce your overall nitrate concentration.

The lot number should be printed on your test bottle, normally just above the sticker on the front of the bottle

HTH.

[edit]ninja'd :;nin
To add your aquarium info, go to the 'My Settings' drop down in the main blue bar at the top of the page, select 'Edit Aquarium Info', save changes, and voila! aquarium info under your name

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Feeding less and doing larger water changes will help. Did I miss the answer to how big your tank is?
I wonder would it be a type of food I am feeding? I just got hakari brine shrimp for them, I also feed bloodworms dry, color flakes, and spectrum chiclid formula. But not all at once. They get one or the other.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

I'm going to respectfully disagree with meenu about stability [sorry meenu ]. There have been many stories on fishlore supporting the product, and, IMO and IME I haven't experienced any problems with it.
No apologies necessary. I've seen way more people who have had bad experiences with Stability than good ones. (Well, good is you and I think one other member). It's a forum, we don't have to apologize for our opinions.

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

I'm going to respectfully disagree with meenu about stability [sorry meenu ]. There have been many stories on fishlore supporting the product, and, IMO and IME I haven't experienced any problems with it. I don't think we have enough conclusive evidence to make a 100% decision on stability. Having said that, Tetra Safe Start is the more highly recommended product for the introduction of bb to the tank. [just my opinion )

On the topic of Nitrates, many members succesfully run up to 40ppm, however we recommend 5-20ppm because it gives you 'room for error'. Nitrates in low quantities are not harmful to your fish, but can cause irritation to them if exposed to higher levels for a long period of time. By keeping the levels lower, you can also reduce the size of your water changes to maintain a good level (e.g. about 20% weekly, rather than 30-50%)

You mention that you'd like to add more plants, I think that's a great idea. Your plants will love the higher nitrate levels, and will probably help stabilise/reduce your overall nitrate concentration.

The lot number should be printed on your test bottle, normally just above the sticker on the front of the bottle

HTH.

[edit]ninja'd :;nin
To add your aquarium info, go to the 'My Settings' drop down in the main blue bar at the top of the page, select 'Edit Aquarium Info', save changes, and voila! aquarium info under your name

I had just edited my Aq info then I came back and saw your post

What do you think about the foods Im feeding and freqeuncy?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Variety is good for fish. People here feed frozen food, some feed live, etc.

Make sure anything freeze-dried (bloodworms, etc.) is soaked in liquid before you feed. It expands as it rehydrates, and the expasion can cause bloating if it happens inside the fish. So you soak first, the stuff expands, and then the fish eat it. You can presoak in a little tankwater, but I use garlic juice. The fish love it, and it is really good for them.

Oh, and I feed my fish what they can eat in a minute once a day.

rodeoratdogs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok the lot #'s on my test bottles are all different but all end in 09. Please tell me thats when they were made not when they expire.

Lisi

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok the lot #'s on my test bottles are all different but all end in 09. Please tell me thats when they were made not when the expire.
Lisi

Welcome to FishLore!! I think that's the date they were made.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup, the last four digits are mmyy of manufacture. So anything ending 09 should be good till 2012

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I brought a tank from a lady once who only changed her water once ever 6 months the nitrates were off the scale. I don't see how the fish, a gold severum and a pleco stayed alive in it.

It was a 55 gallon. I did an 8 gallon water change everyday for 2 weeks, before the nitrates came down to 5 to 10.

Since you tank is not that bad and really doesn't need that hardcore of water changes. I think I would change 8 to 10 gallons every other day for until the nitrates came down. I would test the water a few hours after every change to see if it was dropping the nitrates.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear that you're having nitrate issues. The member who stated that the good bacteria isn't free floating but attached to surface areas is correct. You could do 100% water changes and it shouldn't play havoc on your cycle. However, keep in mind your pH levels. They need to be as close as possible between your tap and your tank, along with the temperature of the water, both matching too.

Check the Nitrate level in your tap water. I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom