Nitrate160ppm for red cherry

Naveen

Hi frnd newly cycled shrimp tank. Amonia 0 ppm,nitrite 0 nitrate 160.... I change water 50,% every week.... But it's not at all reducing....any suggestion plz ...plz tell me can i change water 20% for every 3 days or can i change water 10% for evey day... The tank is cycled week before...im not going to use any nitrate reducing medicine... Plz tell me how often should i change water dats it.... What level of nitrate can rsc tolerate tommaro I'm going to introduce rcs

Azedenkae

I imagine if your test kit is not faulty and the tests were done correctly, it's just a matter of you somehow having very high nitrate and therefore even after a 50% water change it still reads as 160ppm even though it has been decreasing.

Can you do a serial dilution test to estimate how much nitrate you actually have?

Naveen

After water change i didn't check... For every week before water change it reads 160
It's api master test kit....

Flyfisha

Hi all,
The way I read your post Nareen the tank was cycled the “week before “ but has no shrimp or fish currently. Am I correct in how I read your post?

Water has almost no bacteria in it.

You can do a 99% - 100% water change if you have no shrimp or fish in the tank?
All the bacteria are ON hard surfaces, mostly on the filter but also on gravel glass and wood etc.

The nitrates are bacteria poop not the bacteria themselves.

Naveen

I mean it will reach to 160ppm in a week before water change....
Hi all,
The way I read your post Nareen the tank was cycled the “week before “ but has no shrimp or fish currently. Am I correct in how I read your post?

Water has almost no bacteria in it.

You can do a 99% - 100% water change if you have no shrimp or fish in the tank?
All the bacteria are ON hard surfaces, mostly on the filter but also on gravel glass and wood etc.

The nitrates are bacteria poop not the bacteria themselves.

I'm cycled with 6 platy fishes still der
Hi frnd newly cycled shrimp tank. Amonia 0 ppm,nitrite 0 nitrate 160.... I change water 50,% every week.... But it's not at all reducing....any suggestion plz ...plz tell me can i change water 20% for every 3 days or can i change water 10% for evey day... The tank is cycled week before...im not going to use any nitrate reducing medicine... Plz tell me how often should i change water dats it.... What level of nitrate can rsc tolerate tommaro I'm going to introduce rcs
How much nitrates do rcs tolerate??

Attachments

• 16340257101112173855231071049692.jpg
    16340257101112173855231071049692.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 16340258467485000581212148953928.jpg
    16340258467485000581212148953928.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 30

Flyfisha

Before you add any shrimp and for the safety of the fish in the tank you need to get the nitrates down to around 20 - 40 ppm . Fish can handle 45-50% water changes every 4 or more hours. Doing 2 40% water changes in one day is something I have done when needs must.

Shrimp don’t do so well with multiple water changes on the same day. You are likely to lose ( kill ) some doing it.

86 ssinit

Two things. First check your tap water for nitrates than read your nitrates with the vial right above the color chart. If you can see a color through the chart that’s not it. It’s the last color you can’t see. Any other way is just guessing
DBDBC655-B491-45BC-BB16-EB54395E5B0A.jpegthis is 20ppm.

Blacksheep1

Red cherry shrimp will not tolerate that . Also your tank isn’t old enough to happily support shrimp yet. It’s better to wait until you’ve got the nitrates down or they’ll most likely die. As others have said you can do 2x 40% in one day with fish ( leave time in between ) but if you did that with shrimp they’d probably die. Shrimp prefer 15-20% water changes

Naveen

Two things. First check your tap water for nitrates than read your nitrates with the vial right above the color chart. If you can see a color through the chart that’s not it. It’s the last color you can’t see. Any other way is just guessing
DBDBC655-B491-45BC-BB16-EB54395E5B0A.jpegthis is 20ppm.
This is d same color i have.. I'm little confuse whether it is 80 or 160 ppm,?.... How much is d reading dis color ur above picture???

Flyfisha

Hey Naveen I don’t think 86ssinit is using the API colour chart or test kit. The colours/ numbers on that chart in the picture don’t match API

Naveen

Hey Naveen I don’t think 86ssinit is using the API colour chart or test kit. The colours/ numbers on that chart in the picture don’t match API
I'm planing to change water weekly 2 times??? How much??

Flyfisha

Never more than 50% at one time.

That is the safe way to go.
Matching temperature is important with some species so I say match the temperature for all fish unless you are deliberately trying to trigger spawning by adding slightly colder water.

Naveen

That is the safe way to go.
Matching temperature is important with some species so I say match the temperature for all fish unless you are deliberately trying to trigger spawning by adding slightly colder water.
So u recomend 50 %water change twice a week??

Flyfisha

I personally change slightly less on my own tanks.

I have a white mark on the glass at 40% and another at 50% on all tanks HOWEVER because of ornaments, substrate, rocks , wood , pots etc etc 50% on the side of the tank is not half the volume it’s a lot more.

Depending of how much junk we have in our tanks a 45% -50% water change is not half way down.

Only the results of a water test will tell you if one water change is enough each week.
At the moment you have extremely high nitrates and need to get them down .

86 ssinit

Ok this is something else about the nitrate test. The color chart can be different from test kit to test kit. Yeah it’s how much ink is in the printer. No joke. Yes that’s an api kit. I’ve got 3 all with different shades.
Ok again test my way and test the tap. Lots of bad info out there on nitrates.

Naveen

I have no nitrate in my tap

FishDin

It matches my API kit exactly. The colors and numbers in mine are the same as in the picure.

86 ssinit

I have no nitrate in my tap
Ok this is good now what the reading over the chart? as stated shrimp need a well established tank. They need algae and bio-film growing in it. Do you have other tanks / planted tanks?

Flyfisha

Thanks FishDin , 86ssinit made that clear in post #15.

My mistake I put my hands up. I did not recognise the red numbers on what is I believe a chart from a Nitrates only test. I am more familiar with the chart from the API multi- test kit that has black numbers and looks a little different in it configuration with the colours from the other liquid tests on the same chart.

Blacksheep1

It matches my API kit exactly. The colors and numbers in mine are the same as in the picure.
I have the api master kit and mines slightly different to the one in the photo, similar colours and chart though. I know different light levels don’t help though. I wonder if the master and individuals are different ??
Ok this is something else about the nitrate test. The color chart can be different from test kit to test kit.
This is crazy ! And it’s a good job we’re on a forum to help with this kind of info ! I think with regular testing and reading you get to a stage where you know what’s good and what level is bad for your tank. But doesn’t help much for comparisons , although photos make it hard to tell. I can struggle reading mine alone without the different levels of colours.

Naveen could you post a photo of your tank? it might help with giving more info to help as in more plants to help nitrates etc. especially if you can move decor / plants from another established tank? the best thing you can do is to wait before buying shrimp , you aren’t wasting money or making the shrimp suffer that way. I don’t mean that to sound negative in any way what so ever to you , just waiting can sometimes be better as your fish make it the perfect set up for shrimp over time.

jtjgg

did you try rinsing out your filter media in old tank water when you do water changes? looks pretty brown in there.

86 ssinit

Thanks FishDin , 86ssinit made that clear in post #15.

My mistake I put my hands up. I did not recognise the red numbers on what is I believe a chart from a Nitrates only test. I am more familiar with the chart from the API multi- test kit that has black numbers and looks a little different in it configuration with the colours from the other liquid tests on the same chart.
That card is old. It’s from the first master kit I got. I think early 2000s. Every test came with its own laminated card. I’ve checked kits over the years and the tests are always the same. Just must have been cheaper to put them all on one chart. But the test is the same. So please disregard the expiration date. That’s just so you buy more. Those chemicals probably won’t break down for hundreds of years :). How could they sell more kits!! Oh I’ve been keeping fish since sometime in the 70s. Yes first kit was a gift in the 2000s. Hardly ever used it till coming here. Feel like a mad scientist when I check (I still rarely do. Maybe twice a year). Yes I keep discus and shrimp :). Also never even attempted a fishless cycle. Was unheard of till somewhere in the 2000s. Funny how this hobby is changing.
But again :) what are the nitrates when checked over the chart?

Naveen

Ok this is good now what the reading over the chart? as stated shrimp need a well established tank. They need algae and bio-film growing in it. Do you have other tanks / planted tanks?
S i have 80 litre tank..
S i have 80 litre tank..

Attachments

• 16342093282898729508957824170232.jpg
    16342093282898729508957824170232.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 15

devsi

Why never more than 50%? I had understood from other discussions on FishLore that over 50% wasn't unsafe?

Flyfisha

devsi you ask why never more than a 50% water change within 4 hours of the last change . I will give you my reasoning behind picking that number as a maximum for a newbie to change. And why I pick that number for my tanks.

If the temperature of the change water is not close to the tank water a smaller volume of change water will be less of a shock to the fish.

If the PH GH or KH of the change water is slightly different a smaller volume will be less of a shock to the fish.

If it’s been a while since the last change the nitrates in the tank will be higher than the nitrates in the change water. Nitrate is just another parameter that can shock when changes are made.

Hormones in the tank. We can not measure them but fish are affected by them . I have no idea if sudden loss of hormones can shock but I expect it would confuse at the very least?

Tap water. My tap water comes from 3 different sources on any day it could be from a river a lake or 100% recycled sewage. I have to assume other people’s change water is subject to change without notice.

The time taken to add the change water into the tank. A small tank can be refilled in seconds. I have two 25 mm / 1 inch hoses and can refill even a 55 gallon in a couple of minutes. I have to assume not everyone thinks we should refill slowly. I certainly don’t and I don’t want to tell people to add the change water back over X amount of minutes because I don’t do it that way myself.

The tank in question may have new fry.

Having said all this I have seen people doing 80% water changes on betta cups . I have seen dozens of cups changed in a few minutes by a guy raising betta to sell .

The short answer devsi is I don’t have control over what other people do after reading what I write and I don’t want to kill anyones fish.

devsi

Hey Flyfisha, FWIW (in case it wasn't obvious) I wasn't criticizing/questioning the advice, I was just interesting in learning where my current understanding was wrong.

you ask why never more than a 50% water change within 4 hours of the last change
I missed this context; I thought it was a recommendation to not change more than 50% period.

Thanks for the answer!

Flyfisha

Now that I read what I wrote again I think I worded it badly ?
”devsi you ask why never more than a 50% water change within 4 hours of the last change .”

That should read something like.

You ask why i recommend to never change more than 50% and why I say we should always wait 4 hours before changing more water”

Guppy777

Silly question but what type of ferts are you using and how often ?

mattgirl

Silly question but what type of ferts are you using and how often ?
Not a silly question at all. I was wondering why the nitrates are going so high in this tank. Adding ferts will raise the level.

I highly recommend getting the nitrates down to 20 or less before shrimp are added but first I would want to find out why they are going so high between water changes.

BettaLover89

Hello there!
Your tank is definitely NOT cycled after a week. It takes at least 30 days or so for your tank to be cycled properly. You need to stop putting any kind of fish or invertebrates or shrimp into your tank until it is properly cycled. I suggest reading up on the nitrogen cycle and understanding what it means. There is no tank that can be cycled in one week I don't care what anyone says.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Cycle
Replies
Views
Tanz
Replies
Views
Kycichlidguy
Replies
Views
MacZ