Nitrate Test Kits Api Vs Seachem Question 

dalmatia

Reaction score
Just ran nitrate tests using these two products. Results varied considerably and I don’t know what to believe. The API read 40ppm with a distinctive read colour while the seachem read 22ppm. Both are over my goal of getting and maintains under 20, but this is quite a difference. Which do you believe is more accurate and why?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Test them both against a source you know the nitrate levels in. Either your tapwater or distilled water. Run the tests a few times to make sure you are getting consistent results because yeah, that is a very large variation.

dalmatia

Reaction score
So I decided to purchase a Hagen Nutrafin Nitrate test kit for a third opinion to see if I could come up with some consensus on which product might be providing the most trustworthy reading. Well the disparity continues. Todays reading are: Nutrafin 8ppm, Seachem 22ppm, and API still 40ppm plus. No kidding eh? May try some strips next. Seachem is in the middle and hence may be the most accurate....I just don't know. We buy these products and trust them with the health and welfare of our fish....this is very frustrating. Does anyone have an accurate Nitrate measuring tool?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make your own solution. Use potassium nitrate and distilled water. Figure what xx amount of the KNO3 equals xx ppm in a gallon of water and test against that. Aside from that the equipment you would need is very expensive. Like $150 for a simple food grade nitrate detector amd up to several thousand for a mass spectrometer.

dalmatia

Reaction score
I finally found two nitrate test kits which provide the same reading. The Seachem Nitrate test kit just came in at 25ppm, and so did the Salifert Nitrate test kit at 25ppm....a consensus! The API is still 40+....the Nutrafin test kit and Waterworks below 10ppm

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I much prefer the Seachem test kit... it's WAY easier to do than the API. And I find it easier to determine the result from the pink shades. :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom