Nitrate Spike - Mid Cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Robert Fletcher, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Robert Fletcher

Robert Fletcher Valued Member Member

Hi everyone. I have a 110 litre (30 gal) tank established 2 week ago. It is stocked with 4 danios and 10 neon tetra all looking heathy. Also a variety of plants fed with liquid carbon.

Filter is an internal Juwel with the following media bottom to top. Fine Sponge; Ceramic Rings; Act. Carbon; Floss.

I have started to get spike in nitrate 75 ppm that was 2 days ago 50% water change and today back to 75 ppm another 50% water change. Nitrite 2 days ago 1 ppm today 2 ppm. From what I have read I may be going through a mid-cycle spikes.

Nitrate is my worry. The official analysis from the water company is 16.31 ppm, as I see, it is is not giving me much overhead.

Am I worrying too much and should just do water changes as need be or is there something I can do to improve things. Would replacing the carbon in the filter with more biomass be of help. Also these products like ‘Fluval Clearmax’ do they help.

Robert...

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Keep doing water changes and dosing Prime for the whole tank volume to protect your fish from ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates aren't quite so toxic though the numbers you're getting are weirdly high. Do you have nitrates, nitrites or ammonia in your tap water?

3. OP
    OP
    Robert Fletcher

Official analysis by Severn Trent Water for Nitrate is 16.31 Nitrite and Ammonia not given. My analysis did show Nitrites at 0.25. I have never recorded ammonia using both API and NT Labs test kits. You said it was weird, what is weird about it?

4. Aquaphobia

It's just that I've only seen nitrates that high in abandoned tanks that the owner never did water changes on. I wouldn't expect it to be so high in a tank that's getting frequent or regular water changes and is not highly stocked!

5. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

@Aquaphobia, I believe that's what he has.

Robert I believe that the best thing for you to do in my opinion is to use Prime for the full tank volume and do water changes to get the levels down. If you use Fluval clearance, I am reading the box, it says it will remove nitrites. You need those for your cycle so I would save that as a last resort. If you can find a product that removes nitrates only you could use that. Live plants will help also.

6. OP
    OP
    Robert Fletcher

Prime it is. I will get some from my LFS tomorrow as I do know they stock it. Should I keep using prime as my water treatment or only while things are unstable? My plants should be doing a better job I would have thought. I did read a review on Amazon where someone was complaining that Fluval Clearance took the nitrites out and the bacteria died. I will keep to Prime then.

7. Aquaphobia

Prime is an excellent water treatment and cost effective since it's so concentrated. Aquatic plants preferentially take up ammonia but the fact that they've only recently been planted means they probably haven't established themselves yet enough to be making much of a dent in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice