Nitrate Question

tropez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A. Rozhin said:
I love my frog bit too! Best eBay purchase I ever made. I don’t want to nitpick, and I use Thrive also, but Enhance, and Excel and all those “bottled boosters”, those contain a chemical that contains carbon, but they are not “liquid CO2.” And are not a substitute for such.

There is actually not a liquid CO2. CO2 is a gas. Proper lighting and fertilizing can get you great results, and using the carbon stuff can be harmful to some plants, and some fish.

But, on the other hand, you’re obviously doing something right because your tank is stunning. I just want to throw that out there about the liquid CO2 . The most important ingredient for growing great plants is good old fashioned TLC Which you obviously have given your plants.

AND how do you have your Frogbit corralled up there??

Fair enough, liquid carbon it is.

Thank you for the compliment regarding my tank.

I use some extra plastic airline tubing that sits on the top of the water and connects to the back glass with suction cups that I picked up at PetSmart. The hose plugs right into the suction cups. Think of a big half moon shape.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tropez said:
Fair enough, liquid carbon it is.

Thank you for the compliment regarding my tank.

I use some extra plastic airline tubing that sits on the top of the water and connects to the back glass with suction cups that I picked up at PetSmart. The hose plugs right into the suction cups. Think of a big half moon shape.
Is it some sort of special suction cup?

Something like this?

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
stella1979 said:
The other thing is, it can be hard to distinguish between 20-40ppm and 60-80ppm on an API test, and this makes their tests unreliable to me. I find Salifert's nitrate test to be easier, quicker, and more accurate.
I’m guessinng this works for freshwater, but I wanted to ask before getting it. Having issues with reading the nitrate so an alternative text would be great.

tropez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mom2some said:
Is it some sort of special suction cup?

Something like this?
Actually, it was Petco not PetSmart, my bad.

Here is a link, I had bought them to attach my airline tubing to the inside walls of my tank when I was running airstones down the back. When I removed the airstones I just had these in a drawer. Pop out the plastic part that you usually use to clip the airline into and then just stuff the airline into the hole. It fits perfectly, nice and snug.

I use this airline tubing, it's soft and flexible.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
tropez said:
Actually, it was Petco not PetSmart, my bad.

Here is a link, I had bought them to attach my airline tubing to the inside walls of my tank when I was running airstones down the back. When I removed the airstones I just had these in a drawer. Pop out the plastic part that you usually use to clip the airline into and then just stuff the airline into the hole. It fits perfectly, nice and snug.

I use this airline tubing, it's soft and flexible.
Thank you!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
all-out-fallout said:
I’m guessinng this works for freshwater, but I wanted to ask before getting it. Having issues with reading the nitrate so an alternative text would be great.
Sorry I missed this for so long! Yes, Salifert is for freshwater and salt. I use it for fresh all the time and find it so much better than API.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads