Nitrate Levels Too High

ffishh

Reaction score
i recently fed my fish some seaweed, he ate all of it and i removed the bits left in the clip, but the nitrate levels still went way up, all the way to 160 ppm. i did a tank change, and it went down to 80 ppm, but it wont go down. ive done one more tank change about a week later and it didn't go down.

i'm assuming it's a waste problem, since i've always used tap water and the levels have been fine, but ive scrubbed everything and cycled the gravel and it isn't helping.

edit: i forgot to mention that all other levels, ph, nitrite, and ammonia, are all fine.

JDK426

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreed Seachem Prime will minimize the levels for less stress on your fish.
And also water changes every day or two, but I would also cut back on the amount of food being given until levels get more stable

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Something is overloading your tank with nitrates. If your nitrates were at 160 ppm, and you did a 50% water change and they dropped to 80 ppm, then a week later you did another 50% water change and your numbers were still 80 ppm, whatever caused the spike in the first place is still present.

Unless you have a rotting carcass in the tank the most likely cause would be overfeeding.

It is a waste problem. The first component of waste creation is the amount of food put into the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom