Nitrate Levels High

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I tested my 15gal tank 9/13 and it read 40ppm for Nitrates and .25ppm for Ammonia. I did a water change and the nitrates went down maybe 5ppm .

I did a %30 water change using a siphon yesterday and the Nitrates read 20ppm , Ammonia .25ppm .

I did %50 water change today and the Nitrates 10ppm & Ammonia .50ppm.
The Nitrates went down, but is 10ppm safe for guppies?
I also cant seem to get the ammonia level down at all. Is there anything I can do to get ammonia level down? My tank isnt cycled , how can I fix that . Thanks

15gal , 8 guppies, amazon swords , driftwood, filter , heater

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You may want to test your water source. Doing a 50% wc when their at 20 and then wind up at 10 sounds right. If you had done say a 75% wc your nitrates should show up around 5. But i would personally fond the source of the ammonia. Are you dosing water conditioner after your wc's?

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You may want to test your water source. Doing a 50% wc when their at 20 and then wind up at 10 sounds right. If you had done say a 75% wc your nitrates should show up around 5. But i would personally fond the source of the ammonia. Are you dosing water conditioner after your wc's?
I tested my tap water and it had about .5pm of ammonia but I do use water conditioner for every gallon I put in . Could that be it? I figured the water conditioner helps remove it but it seems to be going up

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
nitrate are fine, just do water changes to keep them below 40ppm, 20ppm preferred.

ammonia should be 0, but the test kit is known to be +-.25ppm

how long has the tank been running?
So 20ppm when the nitrates are orange is ok? I have the master test kit but I've had my ammonia at 0 maybe twice since I had the tank so will .25ppm fine or should I get it to 0ppm? And the tank has been up for about 7 months now

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What are your nitrites? 0? Do you have a head count on everyone or any decaying leaves that could be adding to the ammonia readings? Can u bring a sample to a lfs to get a second opinion? B sure that your test kit isn't outdated as well. Just throwing thoughts out there for u.

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What are your nitrites? 0? Do you have a head count on everyone or any decaying leaves that could be adding to the ammonia readings? Can u bring a sample to a lfs to get a second opinion? B sure that your test kit isn't outdated as well. Just throwing thoughts out there for u.
I tested my water 1 hour ago. pH and nitrites are good , Nitrates 10ppm and Ammoinia was .50ppm. I took out some dead leaves and clean some algae off . All my guppies are still alive so I'm not sure what is causing the Ammonia to be high. My tap has 1ppm of Ammonia and 5ppm Nitrate but I use a water conditioner so that would remove those I'm thinking. My test kit isnt outdated, bought it a few months ago. Ill look into having my water tested from my lps too

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I tested my water 1 hour ago. pH and nitrites are good , Nitrates 10ppm and Ammoinia was .50ppm. I took out some dead leaves and clean some algae off . All my guppies are still alive so I'm not sure what is causing the Ammonia to be high. My tap has 1ppm of Ammonia and 5ppm Nitrate but I use a water conditioner so that would remove those I'm thinking. My test kit isnt outdated, bought it a few months ago. Ill look into having my water tested from my lps too
I believe there is an additive that will help with ammonia levels in your source water. I think @Skavatar can help with the name of it. sorry i forget the name.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Prime will help detox the ammonia for up to 48hrs, the bacteria are still able to process the ammonia. There's a few other brands that also temporarily detox ammonia as well.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Even with ammonia in your tap water, your biological filtration should be able to process it plus the ammonia produced by the fish.

It appears your tank is still cycling.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theory.

Tap water of 1 ppm and nitrites explain the answers to your questions. I think you're cycled. It explains why you aren't seeing any nitrites. You have a constant source of additional ammonia coming in from the tapwater and the bacteria can't quite keep up with it, but the bacteria that convert the nitrites to nitrates are keeping up with their part of the cycle, so nitrites zero. The bacteria eating the nitrites are producing nitrates. There's a bottleneck in your cycle because of the ammonia coming from your tap water.

Just my two cents.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom