Nitrate Level

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You could use RODI to remove everything from your tap... Or be sure to run lightly stocked tanks.

Mostly nitrAtes are removed via water changes. You can add floating plants and stem plants to the tank and pothos into a hang on filter or attached to the side at the surface. That would help a bit but definitely won't be removing all the nitrAtes for you. The plants would assist though and once established may possibly keep your nitrAtes at 40ppm rather than allowing them to rise between maintenance or at least be less of a rise.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mollyfish said:
What is RODI
Reverse Osmosis and Deionization system
Simply put its a system that you connect to a water source that removes all minerals, chemicals, etc from the water leaving a pure water to start. Using RODI generally comes with the task of pH control. Please research this before going this route. Although ideal it's definitely not for everyone and does have a cost though there are relatively inexpensive units available and requires maintenance and preparation.
Mollyfish said:
The fish seem happy so would 40 nitrate be ok as long it does not go above?
40ppm certainly won't do your fish any favors and theoretically may shorten their lifespan but it's not exorbitantly high and if maintained at that level isn't going to cause dramatic illness or stress to most commonly available fish so I wouldn't get too excited over it. keep up on your maintenance and monitoring and overall it's not a terrible level just where many keepers ideally max out and perform water changes. Some people aim for lower numbers and some even a bit higher (though higher would personally make me uncomfortable for any period of time).

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollyfish said:
hi
I have tetra fish 10 of them water parameters are
Ph 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
The problem I have is the nitrate coming out of tap is 40 so feel like I’m fighting a losing battle if water is 40 to start with how do I get it lower

Thank you for replies
Hello Mol...

This isn't a bad nitrate reading. Yes, it could be a bit lower, but this level isn't going to harm your fish. It would need to be twice this level and remain there for several days, before your fish would be affected. There are nitrate lowering filter media products available. HBH and Acurel have some good products. You can also introduce floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort and Water sprite. These take in nutrients through the leaves and will help reduce nitrates. All you need to do is remove and replace most the tank water weekly and maintain a steady water chemistry. This is the most important thing to do to keep fish healthy.

Old

Mollyfish

Reaction score
Thank you new to this and don’t want any harm to fish as so relaxing watching them.
Will see if lfs has plants you mentioned
Thank you again for reassurance.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Agree with oldsalt777. 40 ppm wont hurt your fish at all. Adding fast growing water weeds will help soak up some of them. I would also just add a nitrate reducing chemical filter to the last stage of your filtration.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom