Nitrate level too high

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was checking my water and found that i had a nitrate level of 40ppm, which i am told is too high. I did a 30% water change and retested the water the nest day and found that the level is the same. I tested the water coming from the tap to make sure i am not getting it from my tap water and that tested at 0. How can I get that level lower?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If a tank is heavily stocked, after a 30% water change you may still have high nitrate. The only solution is to perform more frequent and/or larger water changes. In my 30 gallon tank that is temporarily overstocked (though it's not heavily overstocked), I perform 50% water changes twice a week to keep nitrate between 5 - 10.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks yeah the tank is temporarily overstocked, still need to finish setting up my 55 gal. i will try and change the water again and maybe change a little bit more then 30%.

Thanks Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You're welcome

JP

Valued Member
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb about water changes are the more regular you perform them the better. Weekly 30-50% changes will help lower that level and keep it low. You'll have much happier fish as a result. "freshwater fish love fresh water" ;-)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom