Nitrate Got To 20

H Farnsworth

my nitrate levels got to 20 slowly How slowly should I bring it back down to 0?

qchris87

Doesn't have to be slowly. 0-20 ppm (IMO 0-40) doesn't have much affect on fish when doing water changes. I wouldn't worry about it.

How long did it take for your nitrates to get to 20 ppm?

Tony M

Nitrate level at 20ppm is not a problem. I would consider 5 to 20 to be great. Dangerous levels don’t start until you get 60/80. Ammonia and nitrite should always be zero but the result of that should be some amount of nitrates.

Bithimala

H Farnsworth said:
my nitrate levels got to 20 slowly How slowly should I bring it back down to 0?
Partial water change - that's part of the reason for doing them.

Galathiel

What size is your aquarium and how often are you doing water changes on it and how much do you change?

Lorekeeper

Sounds like you might have a bit of a misunderstanding of "parameter shock".

Ammonia and Nitrite should both be 0, and nitrate should be under 20, in most tanks. However, doing a large WC to lower any of these values will NOT result in any shock, IMO. It's better to have a lower nitrate level suddenly than to have high nitrates that are slowly being lowered.

Now, PH is something a bit different. You want PH to be as stable as possible. Jumps in PH will cause pretty bad stress.

H Farnsworth

Lorekeeper

Same thing. As long as the PH is the same, and temperature is pretty close, don't worry about it. Shrimp will be especially susceptible to nitrates.

Top Bottom