X
Cookie Policy

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website! Learn More

Reject (Leave Website)

Nitra-guard Help

1. Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Heya!

So I got some nitra-guard bio cubes from Orca from one of my friends, and I've heard amazing things about them! However, after copious amounts of research I am still clueless as how to use them!

I have a small 10g tank but with nitrates from 40-80ppm (tap water). I have attached a picture of my filter and it does a little over 40 gallons an hour. How can I add the large chunky crystals safely to my small-ish filter? How much should I use? Im just really confused about the whole thing :p

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Giving this a bump up for you

3. Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Aww thanks!

4. Mary765 Well Known Member Member

@Piscesorkillerwhale Hi! We can talk on this thread, as it's really old and was never used (and is helpfully on topic)

In summary, these cubes I have named and taken pictures of have the right balance of nutrients in them to help grow the beneficial bacteria needed foe removing nitrates. Nitrates aren't overly harmful to fish but fish in high nitrate tanks are more likely to get sick, and the tank usually has more algae explosions.

These cubes are a fair amount of money to invest in, but for a 10g tank you only need about 1/4 of a small pot at a time, and that 1/4 can last you up to half a year, so it's a worthy investment if you need your nitrates down.

Anyway, once you have the cubes, either put the correct amount in your filter if you have space, or put them in a bag in the flow from the filter to the tank, and wait a couple weeks for the bacteria to grow.

(Quick warning, don't let snails find it because they will eat it. Just thought I should let you know, I found that out the hard way)

Please don't be intimidated by everything I just said, I just wanted you to be thoroughly informed. All you need to know is that you our some cubes in your tank, wait a couple weeks, and watch the nitrates drop!

Hope that helped. Any more question don't be afraid to ask me :D

5. Mary765 Well Known Member Member

@cichlid4life well that's what it claims, and reading going of the instruction booklet it seems like a pretty professional company..

You can fact check for yourself if you want!

6. cichlid4life Well Known Member Member

7. Mary765 Well Known Member Member

On the other thread, I didn't want to crowd it so I'm bringing nitrate conversations over here.. you sad there wasnt any nitrate eating bacteria..

8. cichlid4life Well Known Member Member

9. Piscesorkillerwhale Valued Member Member

Seems like a great idea and worth invest. I am more worried right now because i am not sure what is even causing this in my tank. I have plenty of good bacteria and only 1 fish. No nitrates in my tap water. And all other levels in the tank are normal.

10. cichlid4life Well Known Member Member

what do you mean that you are not sure if everything is "normal" ?

11. Piscesorkillerwhale Valued Member Member

I said everything else is normal. Ph good no amonia or nitrite

12. cichlid4life Well Known Member Member

but you said:
    but what is it that you are talking about when you said: "causing this in my tank", what do you mean by "this" ?

13. Piscesorkillerwhale Valued Member Member

"This" would be the ridiculously high level of nitrate. Someone brought the conversation over from another thread. I just made a new post giving all the detals if you could check it out

14. Mary765 Well Known Member Member

They were on that thread anyway.

View On FishLore