Nitate Problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Meshee73, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Meshee73New MemberMember

Hey all having a nitrate problem. Done multiple water changes in last two weeks. Gravel vacuum, clean and replaced filater pieces. Even put in some more live plants. Tried using a product called prime. Still can't get nit rate under 40ppm. Losing fish! any suggestions?

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

have u tested ur tap water 4 nitrates?

3. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Hi and welcome!

Along with testing your tap for nitrates, can you list your tank size and stock? What are your other parameters - pH, ammonia, nitrite? How often do you vacuum your substrate?

Just want to note that Prime doesn't remove nitrates. It will detoxify them as well as ammonia and nitrite.

4. OP
    OP
    M

Meshee73New MemberMember

Yes no issue with the tap water. Baffling me!!

5. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

I would give another good vacuum, and take out your filter media and rinse it in the old tank water you just took out. If you have any rotting leaves on your plants clip those out.

6. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

When you say you've done multiple water changes during the last two weeks, how many are we talking?
    Have you tried doing back to back water changes?

7. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Does Prime actually detox nitrates? I'm sure you are correct about ammonia and nitrites up to 1ppm.

More info from OP would definitely help. There are a lot of species that won't be bothered too much by 40 ppm nitrate. Not that it is a good thing, but may not be wiping out the OPs tank.

And I agree with Kiks back to back large WC suggestion. It's a pain but that is really the most effective way to clear out a high number quickly.

8. el337

From Seachem's website:

Can you answer my other questions? :) More info would help.

Also, I noticed you said you changed filter pieces. Did you replace all the media inside your filter? If so, you would have lost your cycle.

9. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

What are you losing at 40ppm? That's a common level for a lot of plants?

About the only things I have seen are like seachem matrix or denitrate will supposedly work. Added 250 matrix and some stability to give it a try myself... who also sits at 40ppm lol.

10. OP
    OP
    M

Meshee73New MemberMember

Have 55 gallon with 3 gouramis, about 7 Danio, 4 surpae tetra, 5 tiger barbs one,pleco about 4 inches long and a upside down cat. As for the filter replaced even thing but the charcoal. But did fine all new pieces in water from filter.

11. el337

How often/how much are your weekly water changes/gravel vacs and how much do you feed? Can you list your other water parameters like pH, temp, ammonia and nitrite?

If you've been replacing your filter media (the sponge, biomedia), then I'm afraid you'll have to re-cycle the tank. You only need to rinse the media in removed tank water.

12. OP
    OP
    M

Meshee73New MemberMember

Yes I think I ment to say that I rinse new filter pieces in tank water. Sry not very clear. Go on a retest all pera meters to day just did a water change. I'll see what happens. Will have rcycle the tank . Will see what happens ty

13. Beeman

BeemanNew MemberMember

Maybe add plants? Also don't overfeed. For me I have high nitrates due to my tap water so I have had to use a planted aquarium, I really didn't have a choice. You'll turn your problems into good news if you start adding plants.

I don't think this is a cycling problem, but maybe you could test ammonia and nitrite levels as well although I'd asume if you have high nitrates the cycle is working.

Overall though, as others have said if fish are dropping because of 40ppm nitrate you may have some other issues in your tank.

14. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

What type of fish are you losing? Because as has been said 40 is normally well with tolerance. Please check your other water parameters like nitrite and ammonia levels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice