Nippy Serpae Tetra

kiziahlikefish

I have a 12G tall Fluval edge, with 2 ADFs, 1 White Skirt Tetra, 1 Serpae Tetra, and a guppy.
Full disclosure, when I started my tank I didn't know very much at all, and now that I have done actual research, after blindly jumping into stocking my tank, I realize I made a mistake.
My Serpae was always very peaceful but now is nipping and bullying, I know I should keep them in groups of five but I don't think I have room for that, and I don't have a second tank!
However if I take out my guppy and put him in a bowl and then add 4 Serpae's I'll be right at capacity and a group for the current lonely serpae. Aqadvisor says about 104% stocking so I think if I do frequent water changes I'll be okay?
I'm not sure what to do help!!
Thanks guys

Coradee

If it were my tank I'd rehome the serpae & white skirt as both should be kept in groups of 6+ & there isn't room in the edge to do that.
If you did that you could add a few more male guppies.

Castiel*

Honestly Serpae tetras are fin nippers naturally! They will always get bored and curious and go for it. Guppies and them are not a good mix and I'd choose which you'd wish to keep, and get rid of the others.

Guppies don't belong in bowls either, they need proper filtration and a heater.

Acereaux

I agree with Coradee, I would consider re-homing both tetra's unless you can upgrade to a properly sized tank. I'm sure the serpae is truly kindhearted but without a proper school he is scared and stressed which is why he's getting nippy.

kiziahlikefish

Thanks, I think I'm going to upgrade to a new tank soon!

Castiel*

Thanks, I think I'm going to upgrade to a new tank soon!

Upgrade would be a great idea! Use the 12g as a quarantine tank before you introduce your new fish to your upgrade tank once its established.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
OnTheFly
Replies