Nippy Neons

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently added a bunch of artificial plants to my 20 gallon tank. I have a school of 6 neons that live in there, and before I added the plants, they stayed together pretty peacefully. Today, I noticed that they now split off into groups of 2 or 3 and get nippy with eachother. Is it because the plants block their line of sight and cause them to get "lost?" I'm not sure why that would be, since there's a large open space at the front of the tank... Anyways, do I need to remove these plants?

DdbRm8HV0AACrtj.jpg

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm fairly new to neons. I have 12 and have had them for about 6 weeks, but I notice them chasing around & nipping at each other, too. Mine were very quiet the first week or so. Maybe they were just "settling in"? My tank was densely planted for months before I added the neons.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neons use plants to spawn so you may have precipitated spawning behaviour with the addition of the plants.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BlackOsprey said:
Oh geez. I thought that getting them to spawn was a lot harder than that.
No, if they are happy they will spawn. The males will fight over spawning plants and they will chase the females in there to lay eggs.

Mine were noticeably less aggressive at their preferred temperature of 74F. I had them higher at 77F. It can be hard to maintain 74F in summer so I cut the hottest lights (I have T8 and HOT5 lights).

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Update: the neons have stopped acting nippy and have gone back to schooling together peacefully. I have no idea whether that was actually spawning behavior or not but either way, I'm glad they've stopped.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe the novelty of the plants has worn off but I bet they are doing it behind your back!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom