Nipping while cleaning

Jennmariexoxo

In my 55 gal community tank I seem to have an issue when cleaning and doing WCs. When I vac I have to be careful not to suck up any of the corys or shrimp, and still get all the gunk. However I have 2 GBRs that like to attack the funnel and my Platy and Angels hit me from the top and nip at my hand. Any suggestions on a longer tube or anything else that may help any of the 3 issues of them ganging up on me?

pagoda

Blue surgical gloves seemed to cure that naughtiness for me, for reasons best known to the fish, blue gloves are scary....and the occasional use of unladylike language to the effect of "Oi! pack it in or no food tomorrow"

Betta'sAnonymous

Been a long while since fish has gone after my hands. My tiger barbs were notorious for it. As far as the rams going after the tube, thats just gonna happen. My platies are notoriuos for that. Bettas and tetras too.

pagoda

I think they just see it as an intrusion into their territory that needs to be attacked and chased away.....the fact that this thing in their aquarium is actually doing them good simply doesn't enter the equation, they just see intruder and must defend their patch at all costs.

fallfever

After being bit by a flowerhorn I welcome the platy aggression :) Agree with all above, it's normal inquisitive and often protective behavior.

Jennmariexoxo

They used to hide on the other side of the tank but my religious water changes have made them bold and unafraid! While I know it's normal behavior and it's more of a "hey that's the hand that holds the food" nips, I just was trying to come up with an alternative other than me jumping every time they get me!

Cromwell

My Neons, Glowlight and Penguin Tetras do this when I clean the aquarium and on occasion when I am feeding them but that's just greed!

Latest threads

Top Bottom