Nipping Platy

1. Pikapeeps Member Member

Hello. I have recently bought 3 male fancy guppies, 3 female sunburst platies, and 3 ghost shrimp ( unfortunately the biggest one died today :( ). The fish were all good the day of and after being put in the tank. It wasn't until day 3 that I noticed that one of my guppies had a new hole in it's tail and I got worried. I'm still not sure who bit him because it seems to happen overnight. At first I thought it was one of the other male guppies but none seem to show signs of agression. I did notice yesterday that one of the female platies was nipping at the other females. This morning I noticed that the male guppy that was being nip has about half of it's tail gone! I'm getting really worried and I don't wanna wait another day because something might happen ( knock on wood ). What do you guys think I do about this. Could it be the platy that's nipping at the guppy or can it be the ghost shrimp scretely targeting their victims at night? Plz help and thanks.
    P.S. The other two non-nipping platies have a little nip on their tail.

2. Pikapeeps Member Member

Forgot to mention that I have nowhere to separate anyone from the tank.

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

What size tank are they in?

It's possible that the other fish are responsible. Ghost shrimp aren't known to attack fish but you may have whisker shrimp which are also mistakenly sold as ghost shrimp. These shrimp do attack fish. Do you also have any decor or fake plants with sharp edges that the fish may be getting their tails torn on?

4. Pikapeeps Member Member

They're in a 10 gallon. There's a fake coral ornament in the middle and only fake plants-one next to the coral and the others in each corner of the tank. Non of them are sharp either. I doubt it's the decor because the guppies prefer the open water where there's not much decorations.

5. sunshine2012 Member Member

el337 is right maybe the shrimp you have are not what they are supposed to be. The other thing is that the two types of fish you have need to be in groups of 5 or more, they are schooling fish and when it comes to having that size tank for all of them it's to small, not enough room for them to be happy fish. I have had guppies and platy together in my 36 gallon and never had them attack each other. Hope you can fix things and good luck.

6. Pikapeeps Member Member

When I purchased them I was told that it was fine for now and I can get more later. I went back I I'm told the tank is overcrowded! I was also told I can return the platies and get two other female guppies but the problem with that is that since there needs to be 2-3 females for every male I will need 6 guppies which will definitely overcrowd. Should I just add more hiding spots? Or buy the 6 frmale guppies anyway and get rid of the 3 platies?

7. Pikapeeps Member Member

Here's a picture of my tank if it helps 1466625768276.jpg

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Neither fish are schooling fish. While they are social and you can have multiples, you can even keep one.

I would say it is a little overstocked but it's not too bad but of course if your platys came pregnant (they can store sperm for several months), you will have more fry than you can handle. I wouldn't get any females guppies or add any more fish.

If you don't want the risk of having any babies from your female platys, you can return them and get 3 more male guppies.

9. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Just because I think platies are devil spawn, it was probably the nipper. Livebearers are not exactly peaceful fish....especially the males (though I have seen some nasty females). If you had whisker shrimp, you'd be seeing them grab onto your fish and attack them, they wouldn't be smart enough to only do it when you aren't watching (though some fish can do that lol).

As el337 said, be careful if your platies are having babies because they can quickly overpopulate. If they do have any, hopefully you have a LFS that will take them.

10. Pikapeeps Member Member

Ok well thanks to all of you for the advice. I think I'm gonna go with getting rid of the platies and just getting more male guppies; probably just 2 though. Would they get aggressive towards each other when they're a little older. *Note that they're pretty young I would say. Their tails are fully grown.

As for the shrimp they wouldn't be a threat I guess because I've never really jumped onto other fish and the biggest died this morning. The ones left aren't bigger than the fish and they have plenty to eat.

11. Pikapeeps Member Member

Got rid of the platties. Hopefully evrything is better in the morning. Thanks for all your help once again and each one of you helped a lot. Thank you!!!!

12. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

You didn't flush them right ???

Anyways, I do hope your tank is more peaceful.

13. Pikapeeps Member Member

Well....did I just make a mistake? At least they had a fun ride! Haha just kidding. Of course not. I took them back to the pet store.

14. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

lol!