nipping at guppies

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a gourami male who has been with me for about a week and a half. Just recently (must have been last night) he started nipping at my guppies. I woke up this morning and they both had multiple marks on them where I could tell they were nipped. Any ideas? It just started happening recently, he didn't even chase them earlier and now is nipping them. Anyone know what's going on?

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He could very well just be trying to establish a territory.....How big is your tank and do you have any place for him to hide? They like to have some tall plants or floating plants to hide in....Mine used to hide in between the amazon sword plant and the filter tube...Occasionally he'd hide between the filter tube and heater.....

mumzy50

Reaction score
nipping dwarf gourami

I had the same problem,but i never caught him doing it,but there was no other fish with them.They had plenty of space and cover.Once he was removed i had no more problems.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive noticed that guppies like to hang around the surface of the tank and my experience has shown me that the Gouramis like to as well. That may be a problem. I have floating frill plants in my tank and the gouramis love to hide in them. So not sure if adding plants to the tank will help or not? The guppies may end up liking to hide in the plants too, and may be a cause for some aggression.
IMO its just the way of the Gouramis to behave like that. I just bought sunset gouramis a little over a week ago, and they are so peaceful, nothing like their cousins the dwarfs or blue spots.

~ kate

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom