Nipped guppy tail?

1. Koniucha Member Member

My new guppies tail seems nipped?

[​IMG]

He is in there with 5 glo tetra, two other guppies and two danios.

What should I do? I hand my 10 gal, but it's not set up. I had it sitting outside. Would the filter media still be good?

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

What sex are the other guppies?

3. Koniucha Member Member

Male. The other two are always together and mainly ignore this one. He is sort of a loner, but I haven't seen anyone bothering him.

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Males tend to nip at each other's fins if they are bored or have no females to mate with. Getting females will help but you will need to get 9 female guppies. Which is a lot lol.

5. Koniucha Member Member

I don't want babies

6. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Then I would either get rid of him, get rid of the other two, or just deal with it sadly

7. Koniucha Member Member

Oh no. I thought having just males was ok.

8. Toxickissez20 Member Member

Yeah, I had this problem too and then did some research. If you want guppies do all female for no pregnancies otherwise you need females with multiple males because they get territorial and start nipping at the other males. I would either keep just one and take the others back to the pet store and tell them they are aggressive, get more tanks and separate them, or do what Sarah suggested. Those are really the only options unless you just let it be, but most likely the problem will never resolve.

9. Koniucha Member Member

Oh no, I'm sad. The other two seem ok, actually like obsessed with each other. Weirdos. This poor guy is slower and on his own.

Will they eventually shred his tail?

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank? Are the glo tetras skirt tetras or danios?

11. Toxickissez20 Member Member

Mine did. I eventually ended up losing it because it couldn't swim properly and having to trim my other guppy because he decided to start picking on my red wag swordtail. It's always touch and go with fish because you never really know how they will be. All you can do is make educated guesses.

12. Koniucha Member Member

40 gal breeder. I have 5 glo tetra and 2 glo danio

I'm wondering if adding another male will help or hurt the situation

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It could be the tetra or danio nipping his tail. Both are known to be nippy in small schools. I'd increase their schools to 8 each, and it wouldn't hurt to add another male guppy either.

14. sunshine2012 Member Member

I have 6 males guppies together in a tank and they all do just fine together, I want to say it's the tetras and or danios, they can be aggressive towards guppies. I had this problem a few years back and learned the hard way. Hope things work out for you.

15. Koniucha Member Member

Ok. I hope he makes it to tomorrow. I will get two more danio and another guppy

Yeah, I will up the schools, Just doing it bit by bit

16. Koniucha Member Member

Would it be ok to get a breeder box and put him in there for a bit?

17. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

That could stress him out more, but it's really up to you. There are negatives and positives to everything.

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can, but make sure to add plants or something that he can hide in a feel secure. Still keep up on the water changes!

19. Koniucha Member Member

I know. I just don't know what to do. He is sort of a loner and kind of slow. I do have a 10 gal I can put him in to, but it is empty and would need to be cycled.

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have media you can move over with him for an instant cycle? Just a little bit of media should be enough for a single guppy.

It'll be easier to do water changes on a QT tank too - no need for substrate, just some decor to give him hiding places.