Nilocg Thrive, Water Changes

1. Dingomama

Dingomama Valued Member Member

Why can't I find a good answer online about whether Nilocg is safe for snails? I only have hitchhiker bladder snails now, but I was thinking about getting a larger aquatic snail.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, Thrive should be safe for snails.

3. OP
    OP
    Dingomama

You're the best!

4. OP
    OP
    Dingomama

I'd love more input on this. Found 100 different answers online about how much fert, how often, and when to do accompanying water changes (more often when using nilocg?)
    It's heavily planted because I went a little crazy with a sale on 5/3, and the clumps the lfs gave me were so huge. Cryptocoryne spiralus, four leaf clover, subulata. No co2 (I bought flourish excel but now I'm afraid to use it), lighting:
    11w 6500K white led,
    Lumens: 480-580, LEDs: 35. I ordered flourish tabs that are on their way.
    5 gallon with one betta and a bunch of bladder snail hitchhikers. Dosed 1ml a few days ago and things look green and lush, at least for now.

5. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I believe the dosing says 1 pump up to 3 times a week. I'd start off with 1 dose a week and let your plants show you if more is needed.

7. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

I concur: Slow and steady wins the race. Gradually making the key, fundamental adjustments. Giving your plants time to adjust to EVERYTHING (light, water, ferts, substrate) is very critical at this point and phase. No matter what plant species, like fish, they need the appropriate biological/ecological acclimation time and standards as well. And keep a close eye on 'em for about a month or more. Plant 'em, then do not touch 'em. Be patient and take things slow and steady. Permit nature to run its course accordingly. I love Thrive liquid ferts...super strong stuff!

8. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

1 pump per 10 gallons - 1 pump is 2 mL, so the 1 mL is perfect. Personally I would try to do daily or every other day 30-50% water changes for the first week after planting, and gradually ease off over the next month. That'll help prevent algae. Water change at the end of the photoperiod, and dose right after, or the next morning before lights on. Which means more dosing in the beginning because you're doing more water changes, but since it's not a 100% water change you can do 0.5-0.7 mL or do a dose every other water change. I hope that makes sense!

9. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

10. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

@Dingomama
    Welcome to the world or "Underwater Gardening".
    By no means an expert, just an "Algae" grower (well maybe a step above) LOL
    When I started I was in awe of all the planted tanks. Did my research until my head hurt and was spinning. I was "Lucky" to find some members here whom helped tremendously. The "Plant Guru" @Jocelyn Adelman @-Mak- (I see has already commented) and a few others.
    I use the NilocG DIY due to the fact I have 6 tanks, but many use Thrive with excellent results.
    I would start with the recommended dosing schedule for awhile. Then you can adjust as needed. But I have found that "Patience" is the key along with pics. We see our tanks everyday sometimes due to this fact the growth goes a little unnoticed. You might be surprised as I was when I looked at pics for comparison.
    So, take a pic and post it.
    Just remember every tank is as different as a fingerprint (substrate, plants, light, inhabitants and water parameters)

Best of Luck to you.
    Oh, by the way :emoji_thumbsup:@dwarfpufferlover for the thread mention which reminds me I do have an update.

11. OP
    OP
    Dingomama

You are all so so so so helpful! The taller clovers on the left are just older growth from when they were at the lfs. I could trim that off.
    So what will I looking be looking for to know the ferts need adjusting (besides all out melting)? Yellowing?
    Great idea with a before and after photo.
    So 1ml once/wk for now? Water changes eo day? Until? 20180517_143057.jpg

12. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Nice tank! Besides showing deficiencies, slowing growth may be an indicator, by its pretty hard to tell early on.

The water change schedule is based off George Farmer’s (from YouTube, amazing channel). His is a daily WC for the first week after planting, every other day the second week, every three days the third, etc
    But your tank I just realized is established, so normal dosing with weekly changes according to the bottle should work just fine :)

13. OP
    OP
    Dingomama

I am excited to hear it looks established considering I bought all of those less than two weeks ago!
    I'm going to set up a hex I found at goodwill and plant it and slowly let it become a landscape. What you planted-tank gurus do is beautiful.

14. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Only thing I would change from what @-Mak- said is the dosing... I prefer to dose 24-36 hrs post wc.... once you are on a normal weekly dosing schedule this will be easier... ex water change Sunday, dose Tuesday. Why? First off just the fresh water alone is a benefit... however, more importantly prime (and some others as well) detox metals... possible that some iron, etc can be removed while the prime is active...
    While doing wc every other day it is fine to dose the next am... when wc frequency spreads out, spread out the dosing... every other day, every third day dose morning after wc, when get to every 4th day dose 2 after.

once a week is perfect for low tech, three times a week is used for high tech... as the tank established (a few months out) you may find you would need to up dosing to twice a week, but for now once is perfect.

Only other thing to mention is that the sword is too big for your tank... best in 29gal and up... crypt wendtii looks similar and would be a better size fit

15. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

I too have recently found about Prime binding metals also in ferts. Cu, Fe and many others. Could you post an article talking about this issue if you know of any :) Is it better to avoid Prime in a carefully planted tank? ( 100% 5 Stage RO )

16. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

@KeeperOfASilentWorld
    Prime in and of itself is fine for a planted tank, ideally it will be bonding to the heavy metals in the tank more then the ferts... also the “binders” are rendered useless after 24-48 hrs... (hence the redosing when using for cycling).
    Don’t use ro so can’t comment on chloramines etc...not sure of RO removal (if complete, likely prime wouldn’t be needed???)
    To avoid I do wc Sunday, macros mon, micros tues, etc... If dosing an all in one I would wc sun, dose tues

Will try to dig up the info I found for reference...

17. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

18. KeeperOfASilentWorld

KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

I wanted to be on the safe side incase the RO unit misses some trace amounts of chlorine when the RO filters wear out so I switched to a regular dechlorinator.

I have a pretty high dosing routine and I also dose right after the water change to keep levels stable.

I know I don't even need to use one but I switched to a regular dechlorinator just for ease of mind :)