Nigel's Mountain Scape 36l

Nigel95
New nano scape for a live contest (Vivarium) in November.

Specs planted tank aquarium
Tank

40x30x30 cm
36 litre / 9.5 gal

Lighting
Aqualighter 1 30cm

Hardscape

Dragon stone

Substrate

Ada la plata
Lava split

Plants

Fissidens mini
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Flame moss
Eleocharis acicularis mini
Buce minI coin

Co2

Pressurized CO2 with a diffusor

Filter

Eheim classic 150

42421121225_c9a74dbb33_k.jpghardscape progress mountain 40cm by

Hardscape

Yoghurt method moss dsm

emmysjj
This. Looks. FANTASTIC!

aussieJJDude
I like it so far, my only crit is the front rock 3 in on the left... I don't know what it is - might just be the colouration (bright) compared to everything around it (dark) - but is throwing me off, and sticking out like a sore thumb. In saying that, can't wait to see where it goes.

Preston Landolt
Absolutely beautiful! (As of now I’m subscribed)

bitseriously
Jealousy/envy dialed to 11... following!

ValerieAdams
I love this! Aquascaping is so amazing to me. I could look at pictures all day long

KimberlyG
Love this!

Nigel95
Thanks all

Some clips of the hardscape. Enjoy

Nigel95
Top view of the mountain hardscape. Almost everywhere in the crevices I put some cig filters to make the hardscape strong as possible so I can transport it to the live contest.

28548618447_c5da9e0cec_k.jpgmountain hardscape top view

Decided to try some fine leaved stems in the back. If it doesn't work out I can always go back to flame moss.

JLeeM
Top view of the mountain hardscape. Almost everywhere in the crevices I put some cig filters to make the hardscape strong as possible so I can transport it to the live contest.
View attachment 456026mountain hardscape top view

Decided to try some fine leaved stems in the back. If it doesn't work out I can always go back to flame moss.
My girlfriend says you need some little creepy crawly thing in there, and name it Gollum. Lol.

Pescado_Verde
My girlfriend says you need some little creepy crawly thing in there, and name it Gollum. Lol.
First thought I had when I saw it was Lord of The Rings. "So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go now. Over the hills where the spirits fly".

Nigel95
First thought I had when I saw it was Lord of The Rings. "So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go now. Over the hills where the spirits fly".

Thanks Misty Mountains could be a cool name for the layout!

Pescado_Verde
Thanks Misty Mountains could be a cool name for the layout!
I accept PayPal.
Put some Zep on and let your creative juices flow.

Fashooga
Sounds like an actresses name.

Nice scape!

Pescado_Verde
Sounds like an actresses name.

Nice scape!
Come on now, this isn't that sort of a website here!

Nigel95
14 days in dry start now. One week before flooding! I will add dhg mini, rotala wallichi, hemianthus micranthemoides to the scape right before flooding. When tank is stable/cycled I will add some HC and buce minI coin.

41862094770_9e552aa197_k.jpgriccardia fiss macro day 14 dsm detail

42767177695_d594337636_k.jpgfissidens riccardia day 14 detail shot

41862099120_c7dad1fd2d_k.jpgday 14 dsm top view

Strange thing is for my eye it looks more rocks are covered in moss since 14 days of dry start! But when comparing photos it even looks like some moss has fallen off due spraying the tank daily. Weird haha!

42953834984_5aa621436a_k.jpgday 1 vs day 14 dsm

KimberlyG
It does look as though moss has fallen off. It's still looking awesome.

Cherie G
Beautiful Nigel! Very interesting pictures. Appreciate that you are sharing, will keep watching to see your progress.

Nigel95
Room shot of the 40cm mountain scape (dry start) for Aquaflora Vivarium contest. Added a desk lamp to make sure everywhere will reach light. Also with more light I hope mosses will attach faster. Spraying twice a day with RO water to prevent buildup of lime on the glass. Two small openings for ventilation to prevent mold.

28802144667_f72def632f_k.jpg40 cm mountain dry start setup

Nigel95
Tank is flooded! Let's go.

ValerieAdams
I love it! I can't wait to see how it turns out

Nigel95
Fresh green plants from Aquaflora!

43107805544_21b649cfcf_k.jpgaquaflora plants

43776355922_f28bcbd514_k.jpgmountain before flooding

Tsin21
Beautiful scape!

Nigel95
Day 11

43106360435_41ef2e8cd7_k.jpgmountain nigel vivarium fts day 11

29075486057_67a67dfda3_k.jpgmountain nigel vivarium room shot

43964041802_5396c65fd7_k.jpgmountain vivarium detail

bitseriously
I love the way you've put the taller 'mountains' in the foreground to create the illusion of a deeper canyon or valley leading away to the rear. It goes against everything I've seen/read about higher/taller elements in the background, but it's so effective!! Brilliant use of perspective: all lines converging.
If you're open to a suggestion, most mountain ranges have very distinct vegetation zones by elevation (eg treelines). Or snowcaps. Do you think you could incorporate that? I know you have a plan for this scape, and success comes from sticking to plans, so maybe for next time.

I'm curious, is this a hobby or a career for you? If hobby, how many hours per day or week to you spend working on a single scape like this? I'm sure it varies, but I'm just curious.

DoubleDutch
OMG mate, you're doing such a great job !

Nigel95
I love the way you've put the taller 'mountains' in the foreground to create the illusion of a deeper canyon or valley leading away to the rear. It goes against everything I've seen/read about higher/taller elements in the background, but it's so effective!! Brilliant use of perspective: all lines converging.
If you're open to a suggestion, most mountain ranges have very distinct vegetation zones by elevation (eg treelines). Or snowcaps. Do you think you could incorporate that? I know you have a plan for this scape, and success comes from sticking to plans, so maybe for next time.

I'm curious, is this a hobby or a career for you? If hobby, how many hours per day or week to you spend working on a single scape like this? I'm sure it varies, but I'm just curious.

Thanks. I painted moss everywhere, I can remove it where I like. But I just think I will go moss everywhere bottom to top with a few spots open. Something like the hallelujah mountains in China. Currently a student and this is a hobby for me but it takes a lot of time with 3 tanks currently. Also all the photos and video work takes lots of time. But I like it! Preparing a scape is lots of work that's why I like to spread it. Spreading work and having patience is key. Most people want to hardscape and plant in one day. I take the process very slowly. First I work a basic idea out in my scape box once I like it, I will build it in the real tank and do lots of finetuning. Even if I think now its good I wait a few days and watch again if I want to change something. This scape was pretty quick to build because I had an idea from the scape box a while back. But I did some changes further in real tank. Here you can see the idea but it was to lineair to the vanishing point.

25727212288_754227094f_k.jpgmountain hardscape 1 ada 45p by nigel aquascaping

Currently I am working on a new mountain brazilian tank for my ADA 45p rescape. I will start a journal later on this one. And will post pics of the process how the hardscape evolves. Taking this really slow so far. Sometimes I go day without making tweaks on the hardscape. Just w/e I like to do it I start tweaking. Multiple tanks makes this easier as you always have other tanks to look at. As I am getting longer in the hobby now and multiple tanks it is easier to have some patience. And this really helps for the result. It's hard to tell how much hours/days/weeks a scape takes... But to give an idea. I talked with a Brazilian guy who ranks every year in the top 100 IAPLC. Not sure about how many hours a day he was working on it but he said the hardscape only took 4 months. Ranking high in contests requires very much planning (hardscape & planting) and also a big tank 120cm + really helps to get a more "wow" factor. Once tanks are running its just a few hour/hours maintenance one day on the weekends and daily ferts. But setting up a scape takes lots of energy. But if you spread it you can make nice results over a longer time. Just need to have some dedication to keep tweaking.

OMG mate, you're doing such a great job !

Thanks bro

Jocelyn Adelman
Looks awesome!

hillbilly aquatics
That's sick

Nigel95
Day 27

Some GDA on the rocks using quite some light in this scape. But I like it, gives a natural feeling. Still a way to go to get the moss in shape and stems above the rocks in the back.

Nigel95
Day 51

30975456728_e7d8ffac79_h.jpgshrimp nigel aquascaping

43937024055_14f20c9fc1_h.jpgday 1 vs day 51 dsm

30975454478_fb5834909f_h.jpgvivarium mountain aquascape nigel hoevenaar

mattgirl
The first time I stood on the rI'm above the Grand Canyon all I could say is "Awesome" !!!!!! this tank is becoming a miniature "Awesome" !!!!!!

Nigel95
Maintenance day

45133746371_835000cc57_h.jpgmaintenance aquaflora vivarium betta tank 2

Logan Bock
This looks amazing I really need your info because I need your help

Waterloo
Wow, I am intrigued. So glad I found this thread and can't wait to see where you take it

DoubleDutch
Nigellllll awesome

Nigel95
Riccardia chamedryfolia, fissidens minI and some flame moss

44618682035_9fcf029eff_h.jpgriccardia chamedryfolia fissidens minI moss aquascape - kopie

Very tiny baby shrimp. Only a few mm. Hard to photograph! On some micranthemum micranthemoides and on the right some monte carlo leaves.

44618683015_bd3dc66700_h.jpgmm and yellow shrimp nigel aquascaping

Nigel95
Riccardia chamedryfolia, fissidens minI and some flame moss

44618682035_9fcf029eff_h.jpgriccardia chamedryfolia fissidens minI moss aquascape - kopie

Very tiny baby shrimp. Only a few mm. Hard to photograph! On some micranthemum micranthemoides and on the right some monte carlo leaves.

44618683015_bd3dc66700_h.jpgmm and yellow shrimp nigel aquascaping

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
KimberlyG
2 3
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Top Bottom