Nigel's Forest Scape 128l

1. Nigel95 Member Member

Got bored of my Iwagumi and wanted to do something with spiderwood. Decided to make my own forest.

Specs planted tank aquarium
    Tank
    80x40x40 cm / 31x15x15" opticwhite 8mm
    34 gallon / 128 litre

Lighting
    Chihiros rgb 60

Hardscape
    Lava rock
    Spiderwood

Substrate
    ADA Aqua Soil

Shrimp
    50+ Red cherry shrimp

Fish

20 green neon tetra

Snails
    10 Clithon sp.

Plants
    hydrocotyle tripartita
    cryptocoryne parva
    fissidens fontanus
    fissidens mini
    solenostoma tetragonum
    Bucephalandra (soon before flooding)

Co2
    Pressurized CO2 with a diffusor
    Co2 checker edge (20 ppm)

Heater
    Hydor eth 200 temperature 25 celcius

Filter
    Eheim experience 350 (2426) with stainless steel lily pipes

Background
    Frosted glass spray

Day 1 Hardscape & DSM

forest_scape_day_1_dsm.jpg

Day 36

Day 60
    37401035212_5c1d62a398_k.jpg forest scape 128l day 60 p3 by Nigel H, on Flickr

Day 75

Day 95
    More details
    37456657594_a6573e00f9_k.jpg day 95 forest aquascape by nigel aquascaping by Nigel H, on Flickr

Tank 80x40x40 cm - 34g / 128L
    Bestand_09_05_17_15_53_28.jpg
    image uploader

Yoghurt method experiment

Got some fissidens fontanus from someone. Trying out the yoghurt blender method to attach mosses on my lava rocks.
    Bestand_05_07_17_21_51_09.jpg
    image uploader
    Waterlogging all pieces hopefully they will not dry completely out during my dry start to attach mosses to hardscape.
    Bestand_05_07_17_21_51_37.jpg
    image uploader

To be more safe to avoid floating spiderwood I zip tied spiderwood pieces to a piece of slate. These will be buried in the substrate. So far it seems promising as pieces sink immediately in a bucket.
    Bestand_05_07_17_21_49_23.jpg
    image uploader

Plants
    - Fissidens fontanus and mini
    - Solenostoma Tetragonum
    - Cryptocoryne parva
    - Hydrocotyle tripartita
    - bucephalandra mini catherina & kedagang mini

Attached Files:

2. Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Awesome Job!!! I can't wait 2 c the finished result!!!

3. grantm91 Well Known Member Member

Wow, thats as good as fresh water gets, amazing idea.

4. Culprit Well Known Member Member

Haha hey Nigel! I'm following your build on that other aquascaping forum. I saw the pics and was like hey, I've seen those before lol. Ya looks great though! The way you made the spiderwood look naturally wedged in their like it would in the wild is amazing.

5. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Looks amazing so far! Spiderwood is tough to sink, good idea attaching to the slate!

6. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Very awesome!

7. Nigel95 Member Member

Rough sketch of the planting. Critique please :D

WM = weeping moss
    CP = cryptocoryne parva
    FF / RC = fissidens fontanus / riccardia chamedry folia

Some anubias petite and bucephalandra mini needle leaf random in the scape. Should I put them in crevices or glue them?

The 'path' isn't really planted because if I do all the roots will become hidden by plants.

Maybe I will put some trees more diagonal to prevent the scape from being to static,

Planning to raise the substrate more at the back as I have enough soil from my Iwagumi to create more depth. Something like 4 cm front, left back 13 cm, center 8 cm and right back 10 cm.

[​IMG]
    free image hosting

8. Culprit Well Known Member Member

I kind of feel that planting like that will kind of divide the scape. Mabye try raising the soil more at the back, that way you can plant something that kind of brings the two divides together.

9. Nigel95 Member Member

Good point I don't want to divide the scape. I could plant something at the back glass but idk if that would be enough to bring the two parts together. Good thing is I can always add more plants if needed.

10. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Following! Love the hardscape :)

11. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

Following too! I love these scapes and hope to do one someday. :) Instead of a background, @Silister Trench put frosted window cling on his, with a light behind it I believe??? It is a really beautiful effect, making it look as though the forest fades into fog.

12. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I dont think dividing the scape isnt exactly bad. Maybe you can use that path with no plants and play with the plants on the sidesw to give the tank a sense of extra depth.

13. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

It was Frosted Window Film and the tank sat within 6-8 inches of a plain white wall to reflect a 7k cabinet lighting set and an old submersible light that I could change the color on. There was also small twigs of varying sizes I painted black and mounted against the glass in position with the forest to add a varying layer of depth that continued outside the tank, looking like smaller trees lost in the distance or in a slight fog, but these for the most part were unable to be seen as the background grew up.

Just sayin' o_O

Haha!;)

14. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

I'd use mosses in the path, and maybe a few different. If you plant heavily enough on the outer sides you should still be able to plant mosses to cover portions of the roots or on stones on the border of the path. I think if you planted lightly in areas of interest you could still achieve a look of dense planting in the center while also drawing attention to it as a layer of depth.

Right in the center the second root closest to the glass that spans from the closest tree to the right side looks somewhat unnatural where it sits now. I know it's a rough 'scape, but just thought I'd point that out. It's either too big or spans a distance that's too great for my eyes.

Seriously looking awesome! Where'd you find all that wood? Sorry if that questions been asked already! :dead:

15. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

Pretty awesome eye candy is what it was. Great inspiration.

16. Nigel95 Member Member

That sounds cool. I am keeping my frosted glass spray as it is already on my tank (currently iwagumi). Hopefully I get that fog look to :)

17. Nigel95 Member Member

Thanks for your feedback. Finding more low growing Moss is difficult with the shops I have access to (also online). Oh boy I visited like 10 LFS and did a lot of cutting out of bigger pieces to get this hardscape. Roots will be totally different on the real scape. As you said it is just a rough scape.

18. Nigel95 Member Member

Ordered a chihiros rgb. Hopefully I will like the 8000k cold view.

New plant list due low par with just 1 light unit (~36 par.)
    So I skipped the riccardia chamedryfolia as it requires at least 50 par.

Decided to add a little bit of
    hydrocotyle tripartita. Riccardia chamedryfolia will be replaced with solenostoma tetragonum.

Plant list
    hydrocotyle tripartita
    Crypt parva
    Weeping moss
    solenostoma tetragonum
    Fissidens mini and fontanus
    Bucephalandra kedagang mini.

19. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

I prefer the chihiros single color to the rgb/five color. Plants seems to pearl more with the single, plus the lighting is much better for viewing.... its very very blue from the rgb, not just 8000k cold blue, but blue...

Love my fissidens, weeping, and hydrocotyle! Great plant list!

20. Nigel95 Member Member

Oh Well I hope I like it it's already ordered.

This is why I didn't choose for the a series.

A series light
    IMG_5230.JPG

"Normal spectrum light"
    IMG_5231.JPG