Nieces' Christmas Tank 15 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by ZeeZ, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Greetings, folks! My nieces had a betta but it died of dropsy and ever since then they've been pestering me for another one so I decided to give them a full-on real tank complete with live plants and everything.

This is a 15 Gallon tank with Anacharis, Water Wisteria, Java Moss, Java Ferns, and Dwarf Chain Swords. The stock is a young Doubletail Halfmoon Male Betta, 3 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Neon Tetras and 4 Black Harlequin Rasboras. I need to get at least one or two more blacks but that was all the LFS had and they were $8 bucks a pop. o_O The Cardinals and Neons were on sale so I got them for 80 cents each from Petsmart.

I had a Gold Twin Bar platy in there before but the betta was going after it so I took the platy and three black Neon Tetras back because the black neon tetras weren't schooling with the others. However, the platy left behind a surprise, and there's a baby platy in this tank that I discovered after taking the mother back. It looks like a Gold Wag, it was hard to get a photo of.

I've printed up a contract for my 8 year old and 11 year old nieces to sign. If, at any time when I visit, I find the tank in a poor state they will get off with two warnings. On the third strike, I'm taking back the tank, fish and all. My hope in this is that they will learn to be responsible. They're at the age where they should be able to handle the chores of at least feeding and doing water changes.

Pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Those are some lucky girls! I hope they hold up they're end of the deal, those guys look great!

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

It looks like you picked good low demand species of fish and plants, great for a beginner. I think they'll be thrilled to receive it, I would be! Sounds like a good plan to urge them to care for it as well, lets hope it never comes to having to take the tank back, that would be a heartbreaker.

4. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

Awwww what an awesome Christmas gift!!! I would love to have an uncle like you!!! The tank and fish are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

5. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

That's such a nice gift!

6. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Thanks! That was my goal, easy to care for plants and fish, since my sister, who is their mother, isn't exactly aquarium care-inclined, if you catch my drift.

I keep thinking that I want to get one bottom dweller of some kind but this tank is too small for a pleco except a pitbull but those are hard to find here. Otos and Nerites are too sensitive for kids this age, IMO. There are Assassin snails in this tank so I don't really want to risk having the Nerite be assassinated, lol.

7. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

what about a small group of pepper cories? nice, relatively small, cool looking. i think that is a great gift, wish i had you for an uncle, lol. i think the contract is a good idea. should deffinetlly incline them to take proper care of the tank.

8. t

totes Valued Member Member

Wow! That is such a generous and thoughtful gift! Your nieces are very lucky indeed!

9. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

Peppered corys need a minimum of a 20 gallon.

10. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Thanks again! I'm quite close to my nieces, especially since their own father and other uncle aren't doing very well in their roles and I feel that they need a positive male role model. I'm hoping I'm being that for them.

As for peppered cories, I did consider Panda Cories since the LFS has some but they're a bit expensive. $9 each, if I recall. If I could find Pygmy Cories, that would be awesome but nobody stocks them around here.

Here's what the tank will look like on Christmas -

[​IMG]

11. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

That's really cute.

12. B

Bobbie New Member Member

Aww cute I gave my niece a fish as well and now it's back at my house

13. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

your tank is awesome:;rocker. those girls are so lucky

14. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Good for you stepping up for them like that. :;th You have the ability to potentially guide them in ways they'll use for the rest of their lives, just a cool thought that makes me happy. :)

15. Everythingzen

Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

Great tank, uncle zeez! They will love it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice