Nicuraguan Cichlid

Ffrenchstar

Reaction score
Hi all. I joined a couple of weeks ago and asked a bunch of questions and haven't been back to answer, I appreciate you all and will get to them hopefully tonight!

Anyway, quick question. We have accquired a mature Nicurguan Cichlid which is a totally different fish for us. He had been given to our Lfs (small, family owned one) because a mate of the owner couldn't keep it anymore. So it was living down in the sump in just enough water to cover him and no light so I couldn't help myself but take it.

We put it in with our golden spot pleco and neither were happy about that so he's now in a 240 litre by himself and had started swimming again. He is eating well and seems to like the light.

My husband reckons we are taking him back (but we aren't lol) as the tank it's in has a small non leaking crack, it was actually lucky we had it as it was our community tank which we just replaced yesterday! I can't send him back to the sump

Anyone else have one of these? The Lfs owner thinks he might be around 2 years old but not sure. Is there any way to tell its age and gender?

Anything else I need to know? Many thanks!

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Nicaraguan Jaguar?
Aka
Parachromis Managuensis?

A fish I'll own someday but haven't yet. Beautiful lovely fish. 2 years old it's far from done growing, you'll need a much larger tank (think more like 450l - 680l) by the time it's done growing. Will probably kill any tank mates you try to give him except maybe a mate or something at least as aggressive as it is.

There's a ton of Cichlids from Nicaragua, Lake Nicaragua even has a whole lot in the hobby. If you post a pic we can probably identify it a bit better. I get excited about Jags as I think they are gorgeous but you could have one of many different Nicaraguan Cichlids.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually Nicaraguan Cichlid is the common name for Hypsophrys nicaraguensis. Not nearly as mean as a Jaguar, and a very pretty fish as an adult. Males get patterns in the dorsal fin while female's dorsal is solid colored. Often passed over in stores as youngsters because they start out silver with a black stripe down the side. When they mature, they get a yellow to orange body with a blue to green head. In the wild they have been seen herding not only their own fry, but those of Parachromis dovii. In return for "babysitting services", the Wolf Cichlids will tolerate their presence. The fry look extremely similar, and a larger group of fry increases survival chances of any given youngster.

Ffrenchstar

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Not the jaguar, the guy told me Nicuraguran parrot Cichlid. I saved the name in my phone I just remembered. Chromedome, yes that is the one hypo.... ......

Interesting info thanks. Ill have a look at its dorsal fin in the morning. I can't take a pic because my phone is dodgy.

He is in the tank alone, there was another littler fish that was living in the sump with him that I am tempted to bring home too. He pretty much sits on the bottom of the tank a lot and when he was in with the pleco, neither of them came out of hiding at all (hence the move) though has started swimming around exploring a bit

When he was in the sump he was in total darkness so I brought him home as a silvery grey with black stripes but as it is moving around and getting comfortable I can see some yellow and green colours coming out which are quite pretty. He has a sore on the top of his back which I'm treating with melafix and pimafix.

I am going to need another tank as this one is cracked but hubby isn't keen. Our house is full of tanks. We went from zero fish about 2-3 months ago to now around 145 (including 14 sword tail fry and 2 rosy barb fry) so it's becoming a full time job as we water change 50% at least weekly and test every second day.

Anyway, off track as usual, thanks again for the replies. He or she is totally different to any of our other fish - gold fish, tiger/moss/gold/rosy barbs, kuhli loaches, yoyo loaches, platies, guppies, endlers guppies, swordtails, cardinals, lemon/ember tetra, blue eyes, white cloud minnows, good spot pleco and cory Dora's, harlequin rasboras, hockey sticks, danios, pearl gourami.... And we are soon getting 2 snakes for our 14 and 11 year olds.

Now I'm babbling, it's 4.30am and I should be asleep!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom