Nicrew = great light + value

• Thread starter Luvbebes
  • Start date

Luvbebes

Ok so I’m not an expert , but I do try to do as much research . I came across nicrew lights and wow for the price , compared to other lights on amazon this one is breathtaking! Slim design, bright light
I’m loving it !
currently I just set up the tank and the light came today ! So excited to put more plants. still considering if I’ll do a species only tank
What do you guys think? EAB6F07D-BA33-4172-96C8-050B55D65FE2.jpeg

!poogs!

Well Known
I would agree with you. Of my 5 tanks. My Nicrew light is my favourite.

To get more enjoyment from your new light, I suggest the Nicrew dimmer/timer. I use it on 3 of my tanks. Love it. There are videos on you tube.

Here is a link to the product.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Is that the 24/7 rgb planted plus? Im planning on getting that

emilymg

!poogs! said:

To get more enjoyment from your new light, I suggest the Nicrew dimmer/timer. I use it on 3 of my tanks. Love it. There are videos on you tube.

The tank looks beautiful! I have to agree with you that the Nicrew lights are amazing. I have one on my 5.5 gallon and it is great. You get so much for your money.

Leeman75

Well Known
I'm currently waiting on a Nicrew SkyLED due to arrive tomorrow. Knew nothing about LEDs and just went with Amazon Choice. So happy to see the Nicrew love!!

alx

Leeman75 said:
I'm currently waiting on a Nicrew SkyLED due to arrive tomorrow. Knew nothing about LEDs and just went with Amazon Choice. So happy to see the Nicrew love!!
I have that light. Love the blue night light

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Nicrew definitely makes a nice quality economical light. We have a couple on various tanks and i have to say the Nicrew SkyLed on the Tiger Barbs 29 is one of my favorite tanks and lights.

SnookusFish

Well Known

Leeman75

Well Known
Leeman75 said:
It came yesterday and I put it in and WOWWIE!!! I have never added anything (including fish) that has made such an immediate and significant impact on the way the tank looks!! I can't believe how dark my tank was before! I will NEVER go back to fluorescent lights. And I can say unequivocally, that this thread's title is SPOT ON!!!

I will post pictures of before and after later. I have just done my weekly WC and I want everything to settle in the tank before putting the lights on and taking pictures.

faydout

Well Known
Leeman75 said:
I can't believe how dark my tank was before!
That's awesome, but keep in mind, that you're throwing your tank out of it's established balance. If the Nicrew can, I'd toss out maybe turning down the blue (all the way down to 0) and white spectrums (down to about 25 - 30%), at least for awhile. Pumping that much more white light in there like that is definitely upping the odds of diatoms or worse breaking out in your tank.

Leeman75

Well Known
faydout said:
That's awesome, but keep in mind, that you're throwing your tank out of it's established balance. If the Nicrew can, I'd toss out maybe turning down the blue (all the way down to 0) and white spectrums (down to about 25 - 30%), at least for awhile. Pumping that much more white light in there like that is definitely upping the odds of diatoms or worse breaking out in your tank.
Thank you so much for the tip!! I didn't even think of that! I've been sitting here, basking in being able to see my fish and aquascape like never before and didn't even realize that I'm doing that. I'll adjust right away!

faydout

Well Known
If you've got one of those remotes with it, with the customizable memory slots... set one up for you to bask in the light of that mini artificial sun, then hit one of your other memory settings when you're done.

Luvbebes

Leeman75 said:
It came yesterday and I put it in and WOWWIE!!! I have never added anything (including fish) that has made such an immediate and significant impact on the way the tank looks!! I can't believe how dark my tank was before! I will NEVER go back to fluorescent lights. And I can say unequivocally, that this thread's title is SPOT ON!!!

I will post pictures of before and after later. I have just done my weekly WC and I want everything to settle in the tank before putting the lights on and taking pictures.
Excited!!
please don’t forget to update pics !

Leeman75

Well Known
Ok, so here are the before and after pictures. It's funny because these pictures do not do it any justice in regards to just how dramatic a change it is:

Before:
20200628_161206.jpg

After:
20200719_132537.jpg

Also, there is a newer piece of driftwood in the after, so the water color is a little off because it's still running through the tannin process.

Luvbebes

Leeman75 said:
Also, there is a newer piece of driftwood in the after, so the water color is a little off because it's still running through the tannin process.
Wow ! Such a beautiful tank !
thank you for sharing

Cooperman411

faydout said:
Hey Faydout! Just set up my aquarium - no creatures yet - just java moss and rocks with driftwood as of now. I have the NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 - 18-24" on a 10 gallon. The lights are so bright, I can't imagine that it I will have a tank full of blind shrimp and fish after a few days. For now I just have java moss (cycling, and being indecisive about plants) so I'm wondering, do I need the blue lights on? Is the white enough and how low should I put it? I think you can go down in 20% jumps. Anyway, any advice appreciated. Any recommendations (lighting, plant ideas) for a simple tank - not too many plants but I want some shelter and benefit for future fish and shrimp.
IMG_0105.jpg

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
kallililly1973 said:
Nicrew definitely makes a nice quality economical light. We have a couple on various tanks and i have to say the Nicrew SkyLed on the Tiger Barbs 29 is one of my favorite tanks and lights.
Tiger barbs always look AMAZING under a nice LED!

mimo91088

Well Known
I LOVE Nicrew and I'm always recommending them here. People forget that the cheapest LED beats the best light from 20 years ago. Unless you have the very top 1% of demanding plants, you're wasting your money if you spend over $100 on an LED light IMO. And in that budget price range nicrew takes the cake.

Luvbebes

Cooperman411 said:
Hey Faydout! Just set up my aquarium - no creatures yet - just java moss and rocks with driftwood as of now. I have the NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 - 18-24" on a 10 gallon. The lights are so bright, I can't imagine that it I will have a tank full of blind shrimp and fish after a few days. For now I just have java moss (cycling, and being indecisive about plants) so I'm wondering, do I need the blue lights on? Is the white enough and how low should I put it? I think you can go down in 20% jumps. Anyway, any advice appreciated. Any recommendations (lighting, plant ideas) for a simple tank - not too many plants but I want some shelter and benefit for future fish and shrimp.
IMG_0105.jpg
Love the scape ! It’s a great balance to rock and wood . My tank is still cycling . Not going to put any fish or shrimp till after the local holidays

sairving

I have the 7.5 inch Nicrew Clip light. The light seems to be doing the job.

IMG_20200804_143700482.jpg

Muskies85

I have nicrew 36-48 inch and I got the timer pro with it. If you have the light I highly suggest the timer. It was 12 dollars on amazon and you can customize it yourself. It has a 15 minute gradual “bump” you can use or a 30 minute gradual “bump” or you can choose no bump at all. I chose the 30 minute slow increase.
Here’s my current set up...
Time 1- 8 am lights come on at 20 percent intensity
Time 2- 9 am intensity changes up to 60 percent. Time 3- 10 am we go up to 100 percent until...
Time 4- 5 pm light drops back to 60 for an hour...
Time 5- 6 pm we drop to 20 for an hour and...
Time 6- 7 pm! Lights out boys! Get in bed!

its supposed to help simulate the sun through out the day which I think is pretty freaking sweet

Luvbebes

Cooperman411 said:
IMG_0105.jpg
some large leafy type of plant is always a good option , like anubus. thats a good amt of hardscape. love the wood and rocks !
what type of filter / pump and heater do you have ? is it hidden ?

sairving said:
I have the 7.5 inch Nicrew Clip light. The light seems to be doing the job.

IMG_20200804_143700482.jpg
what a cute set up !!!

Muskies85 said:
I have nicrew 36-48 inch and I got the timer pro with it. If you have the light I highly suggest the timer. It was 12 dollars on amazon and you can customize it yourself. It has a 15 minute gradual “bump” you can use or a 30 minute gradual “bump” or you can choose no bump at all. I chose the 30 minute slow increase.
Time 2- 9 am intensity changes up to 60 percent. Time 3- 10 am we go up to 100 percent until...

its supposed to help simulate the sun through out the day which I think is pretty freaking sweet
got the same timer recently! after a few tries i had to write down what time and intensity i wanted , since if you take too long you have to restart the process... love that i dont have to worry about turning on the light anymore

Muskies85

Yea I did the same thing hahaha. Truth be told it was frustrating me for a second but after I figured it out, it was well worth it!

sairving

Luvbebes said:
what a cute set up !!!
Thanks! The tank has been running since the end of June and is still a work in progress. My plan is to fill the back corner with moneywort. A few weeks ago the plants started to have issues. I wasn't sure if it was the light or a nutrient deficiency. I took a picture and headed over to my lfs. They recommend dosing phosphorus and now my plants are finally growing.

The light grows low to moderate light plants without any issues. It doesn't keep the red root floaters red, but that's fine. For a $13 light, the build quality is decent.

Cooperman411

Luvbebes said:
some large leafy type of plant is always a good option , like anubus. thats a good amt of hardscape. love the wood and rocks !
what type of filter / pump and heater do you have ? is it hidden ?
If you look closely in the back left corner you can see the internal Tetra Whisper 10i, HOB (Suction cup to the back?) filter. I've got their carbon/filter in there as well as a thick layer of my own filter floss, and a mesh bag of porous ceramic bio-media. I took out the (seems to me) useless plastic brush thing. As it's summertime I have the A/C set on 74/75 most of the time. With the internal filter & lights, the tank I always between 77.6-79 degrees so I'll see about a filter late this fall when temps drop. I'm in SoCal so the AC is usually on until early November.

Muskies85 said:

I think I have the same thing but I could only figure out 1 time for the blue lights and 1 time for the white lights. I'd love to have the lights ramp up 20-60-100% and back down again over the course of the day but I am only able to set 1 start time and 1 off time for each color. Any tutorial online or manual - link online - you can refer me to?

Luvbebes

Cooperman411 said:
I think I have the same thing but I could only figure out 1 time for the blue lights and 1 time for the white lights. I'd love to have the lights ramp up 20-60-100% and back down again over the course of the day but I am only able to set 1 start time and 1 off time for each color. Any tutorial online or manual - link online - you can refer me to?
I haven’t seen anyThing online about that . I’m going to check YouTube ? Maybe something there might be helpful??

Muskies85

there is another video on YouTube from someone else doing an unboxing.

There are 2 different timers. The newer version is called the “pro”. It was 1 dollar more than the other one.

Katie993

I have the Nicrew SkyLED on my 29 gal and the BrightLED on my 10gal betta tank. They are amazing! I’m impressed! I’m getting ready to buy another BrightLED for another betta tank. They looks so nice in the lighting. I did notice when my red male was Under it though, he bleached out for about a week but then he adjusted to it. Most of the plants in there are new and still melting but the S Repens in the front started as three little clumps about a month and a half ago, now it’s across the entire front of the tank and so thick that some of the plants are pushing others out of the substrate! I love the nicrew lights!

Attachments

Cooperman411

Muskies85 said:
There are 2 different timers. The newer version is called the “pro”. It was 1 dollar more than the other one.
My luck - I found a single channel “pro” but no dual channel - and I have the dual. I feel badly but I could send the timer and light back and reorder. I’m tempted. Must say I love the lights. My background plants that I just put in 1 week ago are already about an inch taller. My smal plants look super healthy. I should probably just leave it all alone. I just am afraid the fish and inverts will go blind as its so bright at 100%.

Luvbebes

Muskies85 said:

there is another video on YouTube from someone else doing an unboxing.
Thank you !!

KribensisLover1

Well Known
!poogs! said:

Whoa. I got the dimmer yet am not always here to dim up and down so I either have to turn the lights and keep them on low or high. Is this both? Darn! I’m yet to get this tho now I might! Haven’t heard of it.

!poogs! said:

I’m sorry can you tell me the diff (if you know) between the lighting timer pro and the reg?

Muskies85

NICREW Aquarium Light Timer, Fish Tank Light Controller and Dimmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KYLX2P6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_trjlFbFSFX9JP

NICREW Aquarium Light Timer, Fish Tank Light Controller and Dimmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WT8VK28/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VsjlFbT6SCMR5

So these are the 2 models. The “pro” is only one dollar more so I went ahead and got that one. They both ramp up and are completely customizable, the pro allows you to add in a few extra time slots if you will. For example mine goes on at 20 percent, hour later 60 percent, hour later 100. Then it works it way back down 60 to 20. So from what I can gather the only difference is you get more time slots which is a plus for me. Does that make sense?

!poogs!

Well Known
KribensisLover1 said:
I’m sorry can you tell me the diff (if you know) between the lighting timer pro and the reg?

the number of program points. The pro has more.

Muskies85

Time slots=program points. Sorry for any confusion.

!poogs!

Well Known
!poogs! said:
the number of program points. The pro has more.
Sorry I didn’t see your post before I made mine. Good explanation.

Luvbebes

What would be a great light schedule and intensity %?

Cooperman411

I set mine - Nicrew ClassicLED Gen2 - to 9 1/2 hours at 100%. It's been on for almost 2 weeks and 0 signs of algae. Not sure if I'm lucky or if there's something wrong. :D I do want to have shrimp and maybe a snail and/or ottos at some point so I'm actually hoping for a dusting of algae someday. We'll see.

Luvbebes

!poogs! said:

I ended up getting a new nicrew light for my other tank so its now matching , and 2 nicrew timers. such a game changer

Top Bottom