Nicrew And Beamswork- Will They Grow Plants?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by corbin, Apr 15, 2019.

1. corbinValued MemberMember

I have the old original light on my Fluval Spec V. looking for a possible upgrade. I hear the newer Spec V light is good but i cant seem to find where it is available for sale. Any recommendations around 30 bucks or so? looking for something that will keep my plants alive a little better.
    Thanks,

2. corbinValued MemberMember

Looking for a light upgrade for my Fluval Spec V. I have the old stock light and it seems just ok. Trying to grow water sprite and Lutea maybe an amazon sword eventually. Currently looking at Nicrew classic plus and Nicrew Sky. Both say full spectrum light. also looking at Beamswork EA. and finnex stingray Will any of these be a good upgrade? links below. Thank you!

I am looking specifically for a light that will sit on top of the aquarium and one that is not more than $30-$40.

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Ti...=1555413325&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F7391M2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A33ZKFW4KOEZQ4&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5BSYYB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A33ZKFW4KOEZQ4&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAFQ6FK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  3. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

i have a beamswork on my 20 long and the plants exploded with plain ferts like excel iron and thrive but it will also grow algae if on for too long. I have a couple off brand amazon lights on my 5.5 and 10 ( i believe nicrew but not positive ) and they also grow plants well with the same basic fert dosing. I think it comes down to your budget, light schedule, and fert dosing , as well as what is stocked in your tank and WC schedule. Hope this helps some

4. corbinValued MemberMember

I noticed lots of different beamswork models, which one do you have? The Beamswork EA 6500K is what i was looking at as it is 35 dollars. Other models are more expensive. I keep light on for a bout 5 hours a day as i have had algea problems in the past thinking of adding some Flourish excel once a week to help prevent algea.

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

pretty positive i have that same model i bought my lights close to a year ago i would need to find the boxes to verify for you but that definitely sounds like the one i have.

6. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some suggestions today

7. corbinValued MemberMember

Thanks for the input, i will keep this one on my short list!

Thanks for the bump! I posted a similar thread in Aquarium beginners figuring there might be more eyes over there. hope this isn't against the rules! i got a couple responses but still looking for suggestions! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
  8. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Hi, I’ve merged the threads, it’s better for members following if all the information is in one place & they can see what’s already been suggested

9. SeanyBaggs123Well Known MemberMember

The EA is pretty weak as far as plant growth goes. It may do it, but it will be SLOOWWWWWW. At least that's my experience, and I have the 10,000k EA. If you're going to go beamswork I'd go DA. Most of the people that sell or have success growing plants here recommended that version if I was going to stick with Beamswork.

If I were going to try something new, I'd probably by the Nicrew, and may here soon for my Betta tank.

10. corbinValued MemberMember

Looking to keep cost under 40 dollars the higher end Beamswork were a little pricey for me. Nicrew did seem to offer some good options but I am not really familiar with lighting needs. Could not really tell a difference between the “plus” and “sky” models.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019