Nice surprise this morning

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Came home and greeted by miss Mimic waiting to see me...

Then she decided to put on a show. Full on breeding stripes, flaring at her reflection in full regalia that'd put any male to shame.

20200213_064544.jpg
20200213_064429.jpg

Her little red cheek spots though, theyre adorable.

Anthony1976

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MissNoodle said:
Came home and greeted by miss Mimic waiting to see me...

Then she decided to put on a show. Full on breeding stripes, flaring at her reflection in full regalia that'd put any male to shame.

20200213_064544.jpg
20200213_064429.jpg

Her little red cheek spots though, theyre adorable.
Beautiful looking fish that. What kind is it a beta?

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Anthony1976 said:
Beautiful looking fish that. What kind is it a betta?
Shes a female wild plakat betta splendens, so yes a wild colour version of the fancy tailed colourful ones we see sold in cups

Anthony1976

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MissNoodle said:
Shes a female wild plakat betta splendens, so yes a wild colour version of the fancy tailed colourful ones we see sold in cups
Very nice, I have never kept Bettas are they hard to keep ? I see them in the pet store and feel a bit sorry for them stuck in tiny tanks on their own. I gather they can’t be kept together or they will fight?

OP
MissNoodle

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Anthony1976 said:
Very nice, I have never kept Bettas are they hard to keep ? I see them in the pet store and feel a bit sorry for them stuck in tiny tanks on their own. I gather they can’t be kept together or they will fight?
Iffy because lately theyve been so overbred its tough finding healthy strong fish. But if you get a healthy one, theyre easy to keep. Some of the easiest.

But best kept single, for this species anyways (there are other species of bettas, though many are endangered and are trickier to keep... but CrispiI is our expert on the more exotic and delicate ones if you have questions about those). But splendens need to be kept separate as they will fight to the death. Females can work out in a group setting but its difficult to do and requires a lot of effort in finding the right balance of personalities and having a very large tank with a large number of females.

Splendens require a heater, temps 77-82F ideal. Slow water but should have a filter. They can be housed singly in tanks as small as 2.5 gal for ONE with very religious water changes and preferably lots of plants. 5gal is more ideal, but you will find a varying recommendation on the minimal size. Some fish can be added to tanks with other species of fish, but this depends on the individual. And depends if the other fish are temperature compatible. They prefer shade and floating plants are loved by them.

They don't need to eat a lot, only a couple pellets a day. Or 1-2 bloodworms, or whatever frozen goodies you want to offer. Theyre prone to overeating and developing things like dropsy.

Anthony1976

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MissNoodle said:
Iffy because lately theyve been so overbred its tough finding healthy strong fish. But if you get a healthy one, theyre easy to keep. Some of the easiest.

But best kept single, for this species anyways (there are other species of bettas, though many are endangered and are trickier to keep... but CrispiI is our expert on the more exotic and delicate ones if you have questions about those). But splendens need to be kept separate as they will fight to the death. Females can work out in a group setting but its difficult to do and requires a lot of effort in finding the right balance of personalities and having a very large tank with a large number of females.

Splendens require a heater, temps 77-82F ideal. Slow water but should have a filter. They can be housed singly in tanks as small as 2.5 gal for ONE with very religious water changes and preferably lots of plants. 5gal is more ideal, but you will find a varying recommendation on the minimal size. Some fish can be added to tanks with other species of fish, but this depends on the individual. And depends if the other fish are temperature compatible. They prefer shade and floating plants are loved by them.

They don't need to eat a lot, only a couple pellets a day. Or 1-2 bloodworms, or whatever frozen goodies you want to offer. Theyre prone to overeating and developing things like dropsy.
Very informative, thanks for taking the time out to explain these fish. I May look into getting one in the future and if I run into any problems I will ask you for help if that’s ok ? Don’t think I would need a heater here in Queensland but will definitely look into it much appreciated

New Threads