Nice find.....

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So my buddy Spence went down to his facilities in Fl and a couple local guys who do some work with him went along for the ride. While at the hatchery in FL, this place has a canal around it (similiar to a moat) only a few feet wide and shallow in most areas but 5-6' in some, they decided to clean out the fish from here that have happened to find their way into it.

Here is what my buddy John found......

Brian

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow what a beautiful (and large lol) fish.
Look at those (large) teeth.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, that is a gorgeous fish!!!

How did he catch it? I hope not bare-handed. Those suckers are mean.

Very Scalare

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bare handed is the way to go. Hands under the gills. They have teeth set back inside their jaw that would do some serious damage to your fingers!

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are great colours & markings for a Dovii. Very cool indeed.

Another one for me to convince the missus not to get. Thanks Brian.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Brian,

Beautiful fish! Thanks for sharing the info and the photos.

Ken

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So these fish are in the waters in Fl not in the hatchery ? WOW! Beautiful fish! What did he do with it after catching it?
Carol

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are great colours & markings for a Dovii. Very cool indeed.

Another one for me to convince the missus not to get. Thanks Brian.
Thats an easy one for her though, it would be this fish and the others in the tank for food.....

So these fish are in the waters in Fl not in the hatchery ? WOW! Beautiful fish! What did he do with it after catching it?
Carol
I wouldn't doubt these being in FL waters along with the other cichlids found there. However so there is no confusion, these fish are contained in the canal (or ditch if that makes more sense) around the farm. They can not go anywhere, it doesn't empty into any waterway.
They pumped out most of the water and had a come catch your own Dovii event. The above pic he didn't keep his.

Is it a freshwater fish or salt? I assume fresh since it was in a canal, but I'm curious. Looks really cool, do ya think there are more of them?
Freshwater, they come from Central America. There shouldn't be anymore in the canal now, they were trying to get them all out, before he left they were estimating a few hundred to be in there.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I knew there were many released cichlids growing in FL waters and wondered if this was one that had come into the canal from outside.
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom