Next Steps After Acclimation

BCole

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
After acclimating a new school of fish and releasing into an aquarium what are the next steps? I know that keeping the lights off for a few hours reduces stress. When do you feed them? What do you pros recommend for care in the first hours and days?

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I personally keep the lights on. Seems to me it'd be more stressful to have the lights come on suddenly after adjusting for a few hours, day, or however long than letting them get used to it immediately. I can assure you I never lost a fish from stress of having the lights on.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am no pro but I don't do much special after acclimation. Sometimes I'll turn the lights off but thats when I buy the fish at night lol. I feed the tank with the new fish the same way I would feed the tank without the new fish. Sometimes I'll do a water change prior to getting more fish.

Volpap

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed my tank before adding new fish. I wouldn’t think it would matter one way or another about the light if your tank is set up for the type of fish your adding. In other words if you’re adding fish that need hiding places you wouldn’t want to put them in a bare tank with a few rocks. The light would add to their stress. Habitat is an important part that I think a lot of people don’t consider. I give them a few hours and then feed a little again.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don’t change anything when adding new fish I keep the light and feeding schedules the same. Never lose any fish this way either.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I usually also don't do anything different. Depends on the kind of fish, though. There are rare instances I would possibly do something different.

New Threads