Next Steps... 50 gal

AquaMan3640

Hello everybody. Today I finally returned my Buenos Aires tetras (x12) to the fish store in return for 8x Serpae tetras. I just couldn't let all my plants get eaten by the Buenos Aires. They already ate the majority of my dwarf sag, jungle val, and some java fern. Also today, my breeding angelfish pair moved their wrigglers, which I didn't know they could do. So currently my stock is

8x Serpae Tetras
4x Cherry Barb
1x Bumblebee Catfish(3inch)
2x (M/F) Angels + their fry
3x Otocinculus

Right now im planning on getting another 4 or so Serpaes, and 3 or so more cherry barbs. Also planning on grabbing 3 more otos if I can. I can't decide on which bottom feeder to fill out the tank with. I like the look of zebra loaches, but im a little worried that they would fit in the BB cats mouth. If not the loaches, im thinking a corydora but im not sure which type would fit temp wise with my roughly 80 degree tank. I like panda cories, and albinos because they would stand out against my dark substrate. I do worry a little about putting cories/loaches on my substrate though bc its eco complete which could wear down their barbels. I wouldn't know what to go with if that will be the case.

In regards to the plants that got chewed down, can I do anything to help them come back faster/stronger? I have liquid nutrients I could start adding weekly/biweekly. I also need help getting my amazon swords looking better, will pruning outside leaves help it grow more?

Thanks!
Looking forward to getting back active on this forum

Tigerburp

Hello everybody. Today I finally returned my Buenos Aires tetras (x12) to the fish store in return for 8x Serpae tetras. I just couldn't let all my plants get eaten by the Buenos Aires. They already ate the majority of my dwarf sag, jungle val, and some java fern. Also today, my breeding angelfish pair moved their wrigglers, which I didn't know they could do. So currently my stock is

8x Serpae Tetras
4x Cherry Barb
3x Otocinculus

Right now im planning on getting another 4 or so Serpaes, and 3 or so more cherry barbs. Also planning on grabbing 3 more otos if I can. I can't decide on which bottom feeder to fill out the tank with. I like the look of zebra loaches, but im a little worried that they would fit in the BB cats mouth. If not the loaches, im thinking a corydora but im not sure which type would fit temp wise with my roughly 80 degree tank. I like panda cories, and albinos because they would stand out against my dark substrate. I do worry a little about putting cories/loaches on my substrate though bc its eco complete which could wear down their barbels. I wouldn't know what to go with if that will be the case.

In regards to the plants that got chewed down, can I do anything to help them come back faster/stronger? I have liquid nutrients I could start adding weekly/biweekly. I also need help getting my amazon swords looking better, will pruning outside leaves help it grow more?

Thanks!
Yup you can go with albinos, and you substrate is fine ,it’s a myth that rough substrate will hurt barbles. For the plants yes nutrients will help

Dunk2

8x Serpae Tetras
4x Cherry Barb
3x Otocinculus

Thanks!
I tried pandas with EcoComplete substrate and would definitely not recommend it. Their barbels will erode.

Tigerburp

I tried pandas with EcoComplete substrate and would definitely not recommend it. Their barbels will erode.
Look at their natural environment,the substrate is way rougher
They could have become like that because of dirty substrate

Dunk2

Look at their natural environment,the substrate is way rougher

They could have become like that because of dirty substrate
I watched it happening
Substrate wasn’t dirty.

Tigerburp

I watched it happening.
It could be caused by something else

there’s a reason it’s still a myth and I keep corys on eco complete with no issues

Dunk2

It could be caused by something else
I‘m not trying to convince you, just sharing my experience with the OP.

there’s a reason it’s still a myth and I keep corys on eco complete with no issues.
Google it.

Pay close attention to folks who have tried it and what the longer-term effect on barbels is.

I promise you, I didn’t imagine what the effect was.

Tigerburp

Google it.

Pay close attention to folks who have tried it and what the longer-term effect on barbels is.

I promise you I didn’t imagine what the effect was.
I am not trying to convince you just sharing my experience with the OP

Have you checked out what a corys natural habitat looks like

BigManAquatics

Definitely agree with more serpaes. Having 12 total will calm them right the heck down from irritating most the other fish. Least that's how it worked for me. Maybe a bn pleco? I am biased on those...

AquaMan3640

Definitely agree with more serpaes. Having 12 total will calm them right the heck down from irritating most the other fish. Least that's how it worked for me. Maybe a bn pleco? I am biased on those...

Looking to get a schooling bottom dweller, something active that can stand out from across the room. Otherwise a BN pleco would be great.

BigManAquatics

Looking to get a schooling bottom dweller, something active that can stand out from across the room. Otherwise a BN pleco would be great.
A super red would stand out(if not hiding), maybe peacock gudgeon could be an option as well, usually stay near the bottom, pretty fish, not super big.

Coradee

Have you checked out what a corys natural habitat looks like
Corys live in varied habitats from sand to rocky.
I have heard of people having issues with eco complete & others having no problems.

Agree to disagree & don’t derail this thread further, the Op has both opinions, from that they can make a decision.

AquaMan3640

I think im going to end up getting cories instead of zebra loaches. Just worried that the loaches would fit in the Bumblebee catfishes mouth. Either gonna go albino or panda, and ill just keep an eye out on their barbels.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies