Next Step

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Maricalue, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Maricalue

Maricalue Valued Member Member

Hi!

I have start cycling a 30 gallons on june 18th. Now, it is nearly there.

But since then, I bought and repair a 55 gallons. I checked for leaks and every thing is fine.

So my plan is to use the 30 gallons for QT/emergencies/maybe breeding. And I want to have Rams, tetras, corys and maybe angelfish in the 55 gallons tank. Maybe livebearers. So mostly south american fish but that's another topic.

My question is, since the 30 gallons is almost cycled what should I do next?
    -Buy my first fish, put it in the 30 gallons and move it to the 55 when it is ready. So I can, at this point, buy my next fish and put it in QT in the 30.

-Scape the 55 and use the filter of the 30 to accelerate the cycling. Then buy fish for the 55. If so, what do I do meanwhile with the 30 gallons to keep it ready (cycled) for the next QT (maybe 1-2 months later for other fish)?

What do you think?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

If it's already cycled, and you haven't decided on fish yet, you can continue doing small doses of ammonia to keep the BB alive.
    If you have the fish ready in mind, you'll need to be doing a large water change in the tank to lower the nitrates, and add the fish within 24 hours.

3. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

You can move the cycled filter over to the 55 to instantly cycle it. That way you don't have to worry about moving fish around multiple times.

4. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I would move your cycled media over to the 55 in an adequate filter, top it off with new media, and let your BB spread to fill it up the rest of the way. Get your first fish to keep your cycle going. Watch for ammonia spikes, and of course subsequently larger and more toxic nitrite spikes. If nothing happens in a week I'd say you're fine. Then when you want more fish, just steal some cycled media from the 55 gallon filter, put in the 30 gallon filter, quarantine your fish, add to the 55 (let your cycle catch back up with new fish), and then your quarantine media can either be shoved inside your 55 filter (if it will fit), put in a floss bag and hid in your tank, or thrown away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice