Next questions 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NewbieGirl, Mar 30, 2010.

1. NewbieGirlValued MemberMember

Been reading about filter choices. I think I will have 5-6 glofish, one gourami for the centerpiece, possibly one other type for bottom swimmer. Thanks for the recommendations leading me this far. Now, I want a really good filter. I plan to buy the end of the week. As I am getting things each paycheck.

1. I have read great things about Canister filters and power heads but uncertain the best. Also I read about using a sponge filter undergravel vs an undergravel filter? Opinions? I heard I will need at least 290gph, right? All this is confusing, too many choices. :;dk

2. What do you guys recommend? Also, if I want this finished for my daughter by June 19th that means cycled, fish all added in, I am thinking start beginning of May is that what you recommend. I know there are no guarantees because you cannot predict a cycle, but I want to try to have it ready with all the fish by June 19th, if that does not work out then it will have to wait. The fish safety will come first.

3. I am getting the tank this week too. I am thinking glass after reading pros and cons on both. Petsmart has just a plain glass tank that will fit the stand and canopy I bought. I do not want to get a kit because they have the lower end filter for the gallons and the cheaper heaters etc.

Thanks

2. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

As far as getting the tank cycled, you could get a bottle of Tetra SafeStart and it should be good to go in about one or two weeks.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

If you go with a HOB style filter you would want one that does 290gph. If you go with a HOB I highly recommend an AquaClear. I like how all the filter media is seperate (like in a cannister) with no cartridge. It then makes it easy to change out your carbon, or use extra bio media inplace of the carbon etc.

If you opt for a cannister you don't need 290gph since cannisters are more effiecient. I have a Fluval 205 (cannister) in my 36 gallon tank and I'm very happy with it. It works great and is really easy to maintain.

4. michael68Valued MemberMember

I have had aqua clears for years.I would go with the ac 70,the cannister is also a great choice.With your 29 gallon the ac 70 would work just fine.With the ac line of filters you have the option of mixing and matching all kinds of filter medias.You can also control the flow rate wich is great during feedings.The food winds up being eaten buy the fish instead of all over the tank.You can also buy media in bulk and use bio bags wich saves a ton of money.

5. AlexWNew MemberMember

I'd second the AC70, great filters... if you want a canister then I'd go with a Rena XP2 or XP3, you can get them for fairly cheap and they work great IME.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice